Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

2 hours ago, Seea said:

I watched a melevs reef video he said “rule of thumb is 3 days” TySm.

should I let the shrimp stay in the tank for a day before adding the biospira?

You add the BioSpira right away... that has the beneficial bacteria in it. 

This looks like allot of fun!  I wish I had signed up here sooner!!!  I started my tank at the right time, and it meets the rules, but I'm too late to join the contest 😞

Whiskey

• Like 2
3 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

March FTSCBCF9CAB-F057-465A-97AF-C1940E8834F2.thumb.jpeg.8270a81816a5305d3639de8b0481d172.jpeg

Looks great!

Are we all supposed to post our FTS in here, or just in our journal? 

MainelyReefer
4 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Looks great!

Are we all supposed to post our FTS in here, or just in our journal? 

The rules state only in the journal as required.  Figured a shameless plug on this thread was fair game haha

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, GraniteReefer said:

The rules state only in the journal as required.  Figured a shameless plug on this thread was fair game haha

Oh good... lemme make sure I’m following yours. 🙂

Chadicus Meridius
On 3/27/2020 at 6:02 PM, devaji108 said:

shrimp will work but put it on a mesh bag or something it will get slimy and fall apart, leaving you with more in the tank than you want...

I personally like pure ammonia cleaner and easier to work with. just make sure you get PURE  ammonia with nothing else.  can be found in hardware stores. or get a bottle of Dr. tims that is what I use. 

dose till you reach 2PPM go slow and test along the way to get there.  we are talking about drops not table spoons here  once you're at 2ppm add your biospira and wait a few hours and test. depending on the type of bottled bac. you used -some work faster than others - in a few days 3-6ish you should be down to 0          ( keep in mind API ammonia test keeps will always read .25 )

once you are at 0 dose ammonia again. if tank and bring it back to 0 with in 24hr you are "cycled"  that does not mean dump a ton of fish and corals in at once. still go slow. start with a few easy corals and a small CUC and slowly increase the bio load over the next few months.

good luck and remember to have fun along the way!

Thank you for the information my ammonia is reading 0.25 like you said so I’m assuming it’s zero.

my nitrite spiked so soon I should get a nitrate spike. Should I take out shrimp than.

On 3/27/2020 at 5:58 PM, SliceGolfer said:

@Seea Why are you posting your tank questions here? Post them in your 365 Day Challenge build thread 🙂🙂🙂

ill be posting more on my thread. 

NoOneLikesADryTang
2 minutes ago, naothan said:

is a fts required everymonth ? 

Yes. See below. It should go on your own build thread though, not here (not that it's hurting anything to put it here, I think it just needs to be in your thread to remain eligible). This was on the first post, announcing the contest. 

On 1/31/2020 at 8:11 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Competitors are required to post at least one monthly update to their 365 day challenge journal that will include a full tank shot photograph in order to remain eligible, at the bare minimum. Your build thread must also include the tag "365 Day Challenge", so that they are easy to locate on the forums. We all can understand that life gets in the way of our hobby sometimes, photo updates can be up to a week behind, but if you miss more than 2 monthly updates along the way, you will be disqualified.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Seea said:

Thank you for the information my ammonia is reading 0.25 like you said so I’m assuming it’s zero.

my nitrite spiked so soon I should get a nitrate spike. Should I take out shrimp than.

ill be posting more on my thread. 

did you get a ammonia reading around 2PPM or above? if not leave shrimpin there until you do then take out. 

been a long time since I used shrimp...but you will need to get ammonia back up to test the cycle. the shrimp by decay slowly and the bac will already start working on it.

maybe someone that cycles with shrimp and bac. will chime in.

but if you want you can take it out test wait a day or so test again then add another shrimp to get the ammonia up to 2PPM the key is a drop to 0 ( .25- not 25 if using API ) with in 24hrs.

if any doubt go slow. nothing good happen fast in reefing. 

good luck

Chadicus Meridius
1 hour ago, devaji108 said:

did you get a ammonia reading around 2PPM or above? if not leave shrimpin there until you do then take out. 

been a long time since I used shrimp...but you will need to get ammonia back up to test the cycle. the shrimp by decay slowly and the bac will already start working on it.

maybe someone that cycles with shrimp and bac. will chime in.

but if you want you can take it out test wait a day or so test again then add another shrimp to get the ammonia up to 2PPM the key is a drop to 0 ( .25- not 25 if using API ) with in 24hrs.

if any doubt go slow. nothing good happen fast in reefing. 

good luck

I forgot to mention I checked nitrate it is around 20-40 ppm. Which is weird because I put the shrimp and bac in 3 days ago. I’ll take the shrimp out and do what you said. I did not get an ammonia reading also. I let the shrimp sit for a day without any bac just to let ammonia build up.

3 hours ago, naothan said:

is a fts required everymonth ? 

Yes required monthly in your build journal, I accidentally put mine in here though I though i was in my build journal 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
4 hours ago, William said:

If it is allowed,

absolutely 

The competition is open to any and all Nano-Reef Community members starting today January 31st! In order to formally enter the competition, you must begin your 365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge build by the end of February 2020! This means that by February 29th 2020 you will need to have done the following tasks:

1. Sourced your qualifying 20 gallon or smaller all-in-one reef tank and equipment.
  2. Started a new aquarium journal here on Nano-Reef.com in our Aquarium Journals Forum.
  3. Shared a photo of your dry AIO nano reef tank in your new aquarium journal with Your Favorite Food Condiment inside.
  4. Posted an announcement of your entry into the competition here in this thread with a link to your build journal.

its april.    that should awnser it 

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, christian321uy said:

nice!! would love to join

It’s too late to join this year’s contest, but you can still start a tank journal anytime so people can follow along...  @William also missed the deadline, but he had a cool idea and just started a “social distancing distraction nano” journal for his new tank... 

• Like 7
Chadicus Meridius

I don’t like asking questions here but I’m just curious on everyone’s point of view on  stocking ideas. A damsel(not sure what type) please tell me a good peaceful damsel, and 2 occelerais clown fish. 

would this work?

Clownfish and Damsels are related and can get territorial, especially in a 20 gallon aquarium.  IMO, you're better off with another species.

1 hour ago, Seea said:

I don’t like asking questions here but I’m just curious on everyone’s point of view on  stocking ideas. A damsel(not sure what type) please tell me a good peaceful damsel, and 2 occelerais clown fish. 

would this work?

56 minutes ago, seabass said:

Clownfish and Damsels are related and can get territorial, especially in a 20 gallon aquarium.  IMO, you're better off with another species.

I had a standard twenty gallon for years that had a spawning pair of ocellaris and a spawning pair of damsels (male was a springer and female was a yellowtail). Don't have any photos readily available but can dig some up if you want.  

The clowns had a BTA on top of the rock work so that’s where they stayed, and the damsels had the caves down below. The damsels spent their time fighting with each other; they were in an abusive relationship.  They didn’t bother the clowns, and the clowns stayed in and around their anemone. Everyone was happy and healthy. 
I think this worked because there were two damsels. One damsel would have fought with the clowns, whereas two were two preoccupied with each other. Also I’m sure the clowns having an anemone helped out a lot. 

edit I found some photos 

The tank everyone lived in. The male’s nest was under the left side near the hammer, the female spent her time more on the right unless it was spawning time. She was welcomed in the male’s den only during sexy times 

9CCCAC9D-5C53-4AB8-92DD-2878B7D8CC5E.jpeg
the not-so-happy couple 

716637E2-CB2B-426D-B8EB-E8688196B82B.jpeg
damselfish nest 

A11ADFD3-EC97-40E8-AC54-63A177B88E03.jpeg
clownfish nest 

323E8736-7708-4E06-A450-D59EC4EB85A4.jpeg

• Like 5
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, Seea said:

would this work?

A pistol shrimp and goby would be a cool contrast with the clowns. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic