Coral Vue Hydros

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

Participation seems good for this contest.  I'm most excited with the flexibility on the equipment changes. We won’t be able to do much with an AIO in the back chambers but seeing everyone adjust during the year on what’s working/not working best will be good information for anyone thinking about setting up a small AIO.  

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Sancho said:

Here’s my custom tank 🤷‍♂️Yep im calling it Tupperwarari 😂

image.jpg

Heck ya! I toy with the idea of putting one of those kid swimming pools or a large rubbermaid in my basement and filling it up with salt.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Heck ya! I toy with the idea of putting one of those kid swimming pools or a large rubbermaid in my basement and filling it up with salt.

You need an intervention 

• Haha 7
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I've got a 100g rubbermaid tubs...  and 200lbs of dry rock.. dont put such ideas in my head

• Haha 4
21 hours ago, banasophia said:

i did it took 1 hour and i like the rock scape better anyway lol 
@meno19 , hi and welcome! 

:welcome:

Looks like you’re new to the forum, not sure if you are a new hobbyist. I’ve talked to a few new hobbyists that are considering joining in on the contest, though they are a bit overwhelmed by the thought of having to empty their tank for the condiment pic... just wanted to reassure you it’s not hard, doesn’t take too long, and we could totally talk you through it if needed, just let us know! 🤗  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, naothan said:

Yeah... I think if I was just doing my first tank it would be intimidating... in fact I remember when my Biocube 16 was still new and was having issues with hydroids people would sometimes suggest taking my rocks out and scrubbing them and I thought that sounded totally crazy. 

Even very recently, with my current tank, I have had to drain it, replace the sand (twice), and remove part of the scape to remove a fish and I was nervous when I first started out doing those things... but now I realize it was totally do-able. 

If I was new, I would also be worried how it would affect the cycle, especially if I was using dry rock and had already added beneficial bacteria and ammonia or a fish... 

Glad you were able to do it and like your new scape!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, banasophia said:

Alriiight!! Great timing! Looking forward to following. Lily is ready and waiting! 

@yoshii, not sure if I missed it... what about you? you thinking of entering? 

Woo hoo! Glad you're entering Felicia!  :happydance:

@banasophia I'm thinking about it but the tank I want can't be shipped to Hawaii 😭 I have one local option that I plan to check out soon

• Like 3
1 hour ago, yoshii said:

Woo hoo! Glad you're entering Felicia!  :happydance:

@banasophia I'm thinking about it but the tank I want can't be shipped to Hawaii 😭 I have one local option that I plan to check out soon

be nice to have you.  your little macro tank was the 1st thing that pop into my head when I read about the challenge. 

yeah Hawaii can be tough I lived on maui for a while. was nice getting SW right from the ocean tho bit some things not so much.

5 minutes ago, Seea said:

Do you have any skimmer recommendations?

I dont I will make a DIY ATS for my nano.I  can make you one if you like.  depending on what you do with the tank a skimmer may not be needed if you stay on top of WC most nano peeps do around 10% a week some more, some less.

for skimmers I hear good things about the tunze skimmers but again I have never use a skimmer on a nano. I am sure others will chime in.

also check out YT and see what other IM20 reefers are having success with.

Chadicus Meridius
16 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

I dont I will make a DIY ATS for my nano.I  can make you one if you like.  depending on what you do with the tank a skimmer may not be needed if you stay on top of WC most nano peeps do around 10% a week some more, some less.

for skimmers I hear good things about the tunze skimmers but again I have never use a skimmer on a nano. I am sure others will chime in.

also check out YT and see what other IM20 reefers are having success with.

Naa you don’t have to make me one, thanks for offer though.

i will try to stay up on water changes.

Chadicus Meridius
4 minutes ago, SliceGolfer said:

@Seea I run the IceCap K1 Nano in my IM20 with great success. It's a champ, does an amazing job for the money.

5DF97F02-4681-46C3-8AB5-EBE894AD153D.thumb.jpeg.9273a32161f7623f008910824a118898.jpeg

Did you have to modify it to make it fit???

and if so how? The skimmer is in budget.

3 minutes ago, Seea said:

Did you have to modify it to make it fit???

and if so how? The skimmer is in budget.

For it to fit in the second chamber, you need to remove the magnetic mounting collar. A quick turn of the thumbscrew and it will slide off. I placed the IceCap K1 Nano in the second chamber, and it sits on the bottom glass securely.

Chadicus Meridius
3 minutes ago, SliceGolfer said:

For it to fit in the second chamber, you need to remove the magnetic mounting collar. A quick turn of the thumbscrew and it will slide off. I placed the IceCap K1 Nano in the second chamber, and it sits on the bottom glass securely.

How long did it take for yours to break in?

and thanks you.

1 minute ago, Seea said:

How long did it take for yours to break in?

and thanks you.

A week. It did have a crazy "I'm gonna foam all over everything" period that lasted a couple hours. Maybe run yours in a citric acid bath before placing in the tank.

Chadicus Meridius
3 minutes ago, SliceGolfer said:

A week. It did have a crazy "I'm gonna foam all over everything" period that lasted a couple hours. Maybe run yours in a citric acid bath before placing in the tank.

Ok, how often do you have to clean the collection cup. Sorry for asking so many questions.

53 minutes ago, Seea said:

Ok, how often do you have to clean the collection cup. Sorry for asking so many questions.

That’s subjective to the tank, feeding schedule, and bioload. I clean the cup once or twice a week.

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic