Innovative Marine Aquariums

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

1 minute ago, Sancho said:

Here’s my custom tank 🤷‍♂️Yep im calling it Tupperwarari 😂

image.jpg

It has to stay on that pizza box as the base from now on though. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

It has to stay on that pizza box as the base from now on though. 

I have to get creative with the AIO though...I think I gots this

25 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

He’s building it from scraps like me

If so, Chris said you could put a pic up when it's not finished yet. Then another pic when it is. I can't remember how finished it had to be...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

If so, Chris said you could put a pic up when it's not finished yet. Then another pic when it is. I can't remember how finished it had to be...

So maybe receipt with condiment on it if it’s purchased but still shipping and then the second pic with condiment in tank when it arrives??? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, banasophia said:

So maybe receipt with condiment on it if it’s purchased but still shipping and then the second pic with condiment in tank when it arrives??? 

🤔 you stretching it girl 😂

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Sancho said:

🤔 you stretching it girl 😂

How’s that different from someone with disassembled pieces of glass and a condiment... just cuz some of us have to order our tank and it can’t arrive in time? We can’t all diy it like you... 

1 hour ago, devaji108 said:

question for all you NR folks. my tank my not... probably not be here by the 29th   so can I take a pic in another tank same size just not rimless and still be good or am I SOL?? 

If you're building it, "Work in progress' DIY all-in-one tanks do not need to be 100% finished by the 29th and will be accepted as long as the journal and condiment photo requirements are still met by the 29th."   For the photo requirement, you might use tape to construct the main tank while you take a pic, then take another condiment pic after it's finished, but still dry.

If it's ordered, but won't arrive in time, maybe @Christopher Marks would accept a picture of a condiment along with a description of you have ordered by the 29th.  Of course you would still be required to take another pic of your dry tank and condiment after it arrives.

Can you give us more details so that Chris can make a ruling?

1 hour ago, seabass said:

If you're building it, "Work in progress' DIY all-in-one tanks do not need to be 100% finished by the 29th and will be accepted as long as the journal and condiment photo requirements are still met by the 29th."   For the photo requirement, you might use tape to construct the main tank while you take a pic, then take another condiment pic after it's finished, but still dry.

If it's ordered, but won't arrive in time, maybe @Christopher Marks would accept a picture of a condiment along with a description of you have ordered by the 29th.  Of course you would still be required to take another pic of your dry tank and condiment after it arrives.

Can you give us more details so that Chris can make a ruling?

yup hopefully getting another fiji cube 20 AIO had to wait for payday and the go ahead  should be shipping out on Monday. I have an almost extra 10 ( using  it for  an ATO res. for the other fiji cube )  and a 20L I was going to DIY but decided I wanted a clean rimless look .

progress on this build will be slow as I  plan to DIY my own branch rock and cure it, will take 3-6 weeks or more 😕  + we will be moving at some point this spring. 

I am excited about the DIY branch  rock something I have wanted to do for a few years. 

if the tank looks half as good as it does in my head it's going to great!  haha 

• Like 3

Hi everyone!  I'm BACK! :happydance:omgomgomg:grouphug:  Man, it has been way too long!  @Christopher Marks thanks for hosting another awesome contest!  I've hosted one, but I've never entered, so I'm super excited about this!

I've been focused on other things like work and my other love - scuba diving, and I've really not been focused on my aquariums.  Anyways, I got inspired the last few weeks to refocus on my reef aquarium and went out and bought a brand new Innovative Marine 20 gallon Pro at my LFS this evening.  I posted the news on Facebook and @yoshii immediately commented informing me that this contest was happening and that I should enter.  I headed on over here and now I'm excited to enter and document my build here on Nano-Reef like I always have!  The new tank is currently sitting on my kitchen floor full of freshwater to leak test it, but when I empty it back out to start setting it up, I'll get my condiment photo and officially enter.  In the meantime, here's a couple quick photos of the empty tank right after I got it out of the box this evening.

IMG_6949.thumb.jpg.ba52ebc37ec531c95f43f0f30f7f04d6.jpg

Lily says hi to everyone!  Long time no see!  She takes her responsibility of inspecting new aquariums and providing scale for my new tank photos very seriously!IMG_6953.thumb.jpg.dd3e66ddee00d65202f71349d0597576.jpg

IMG_6952.thumb.jpg.520d373d845a14820fcf054f18418d71.jpg

• Like 9
  • Wow 4
6 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Hi everyone!  I'm BACK! :happydance:omgomgomg:grouphug:  Man, it has been way too long!  @Christopher Marks thanks for hosting another awesome contest!  I've hosted one, but I've never entered, so I'm super excited about this!

I've been focused on other things like work and my other love - scuba diving, and I've really not been focused on my aquariums.  Anyways, I got inspired the last few weeks to refocus on my reef aquarium and went out and bought a brand new Innovative Marine 20 gallon Pro at my LFS this evening.  I posted the news on Facebook and @yoshii immediately commented informing me that this contest was happening and that I should enter.  I headed on over here and now I'm excited to enter and document my build here on Nano-Reef like I always have!  The new tank is currently sitting on my kitchen floor full of freshwater to leak test it, but when I empty it back out to start setting it up, I'll get my condiment photo and officially enter.  In the meantime, here's a couple quick photos of the empty tank right after I got it out of the box this evening.

Lily says hi to everyone!  Long time no see!  She takes her responsibility of inspecting new aquariums and providing scale for my new tank photos very seriously!IMG_6953.thumb.jpg.dd3e66ddee00d65202f71349d0597576.jpg

Alriiight!! Great timing! Looking forward to following. Lily is ready and waiting! 

@yoshii, not sure if I missed it... what about you? you thinking of entering? 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, banasophia said:

Alriiight!! Great timing! Looking forward to following. Lily is ready and waiting! 

@yoshii, not sure if I missed it... what about you? you thinking of entering? 

It really is amazing timing!  I had no idea this was going on or any of the rules until right after I bought a new tank.  Very serendipitous!  Lily is totally ready to compete.  She's been way more into the aquarium than I have lately.

IMG_6924.thumb.jpg.1c8e2638e9905f26550b7f5073d902ea.jpg

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Tempestas said:

Yay! Felicia's back! Funny enough I was just wondering yesterday what had happened to you.

What are planning on stocking it with?

I never stay gone permanently!  I get a bit tired of my aquariums and distracted by other hobbies for a while, but considering I've had tanks almost non-stop since I was 5 years old, I always get re-inspired at some point.  :smilie:

So the stocking plan is actually to move everything over from the current tank and work on getting it all cleaned up and healthy and then go from there.  I moved a little over a year ago, and the only spot I have for the aquarium now is right in front of two big windows.  Being as my current tank is peninsula style and I have it sitting sideways, the back wall is just clear glass right in front of a window.  Even though I keep the blinds closed on that window, sunlight seeps through and I have been fighting a never ending battle with fast growing algae for the past year.  I've thought about taking the tank down completely multiple times because I've been so frustrated, but I just couldn't do it.  I got inspired to really brainstorm some solutions the last few weeks, and I ended up deciding to go back to a traditional AIO aquarium with the filtration compartment on the back side that will face the window so that the whole back of the tank is opaque.  I think that will really cut down on the amount of sunlight getting into the tank and I hope reduce the algae growth.  I've lost some corals and the corals I do have are generally annoyed by being covered in algae, so I want to start with trying to revive what I have, which may be a bigger challenge than starting from scratch.  Once I accomplish that goal, then I'll go from there.  When I have some time and get my new build thread up, I'll update about what all is in the IM 14 gallon that will be moving over to the IM 20 g.  The 14 g is all softies and a couple gorgonians, so that will be my plan for the 20 g as well.  Honestly, softy tanks have been my love for a long time now and I really appreciate how low maintenance they are and that they have a much bigger tolerance for imperfect conditions.  I've been really focusing on my other hobby - scuba diving, and I've been booking trips in fun exotic places for a week to two weeks and I really do not want to have to stress about an aquarium while I'm gone.  My guiding rule when stocking the tank is that the tank must be able to tolerate having a person with no aquarium experience do a grand total of throw in a pinch of flake food once a day until I get back.  I'm not sure that qualifies as a theme though! :lol:

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Felicia said:

Your cat is gorgeous! Welcome back. 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic