Top Shelf Aquatics

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

looking for a  good budget light that can mount on a  peninsula  tank.  anyone know if the HIPARGERO can do that. 

open to suggestions. tank would be around 19"x14"  of scape-able space. 

kessil is out dont like the shimmer

would love an AI prime HD even the old model if i can find a good one.

MainelyReefer
5 hours ago, devaji108 said:

looking for a  good budget light that can mount on a  peninsula  tank.  anyone know if the HIPARGERO can do that. 

open to suggestions. tank would be around 19"x14"  of scape-able space. 

kessil is out dont like the shimmer

would love an AI prime HD even the old model if i can find a good one.

The mount that comes standard with a hipargero won’t mount on the narrow end without some DIY.  So unless you have a peninsula style with a long viewing panel on the wall it won’t work in stock format.  The touch controls are annoying junk too but the light is ok in all other respects.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, devaji108 said:

looking for a  good budget light that can mount on a  peninsula  tank

What about a Lumini/Lominie Pixie 30? Really affordable and not a bad light at all. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

What about a Lumini/Lominie Pixie 30? Really affordable and not a bad light at all. 

I was looking at that light last night before bed. anyone have any experience with it?

seems there are more ppl using the HIPARGERO with success than that light.  but more research is needed for sure.

it's more of a challenge to light peninsula tanks for sure. 

48 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

I was looking at that light last night before bed. anyone have any experience with it?

seems there are more ppl using the HIPARGERO with success than that light.  but more research is needed for sure.

I’ve been using the Asta 20 with good success, and I know others have been as well. I tried the Pixie 30 once, the only reason I didn’t keep it was that the mount didn’t work for my application. Light output was decent though. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

I’ve been using the Asta 20 with good success, and I know others have been as well. I tried the Pixie 30 once, the only reason I didn’t keep it was that the mount didn’t work for my application. Light output was decent though. 

yeah on further review that light could work. be even better if I had a par meter. that light and a cheap timer for on and off once its set could be forget about it. 

hmmmm    

• Like 3
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, devaji108 said:

I've got a pair of the Pixie 30s. Really decent light for the price point. I've even got par measurements at home of them on an ADA 60P. If I remember correctly, they put out 300+ par at max levels on all channels at 100%. I was surprised and impressed with the build quality of them. I only used them for a couple of months, and they're just boxed up sitting in the closet now - but I'd have no hesitations using them again. 

• Like 4
NoOneLikesADryTang
On 2/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Guys...  The tank keeper finally read this thread... Good news, it wasn’t an immediate no. 

Bad news, the tank keeper said that the most people ever online at once was 4k. I was told if I got 4,000 likes on this post, I could participate. If all 61 people following this thread liked the post I’d only need 3939 more likes... 

@Christopher Marks Any thing you could to to help a guy out with some likes from the inactive accounts?! 😂

Good news guys and gals - the tank keeper is coming around... We even talked about potential tanks and what we would possibly do with them. Please continue to provide encouragement and like the original post (on page 23) so I can hopefully join in on the fun! 

• Like 5

SO how many of you keep the contest tanks up after the challenge is over?

had the convo with the GF and he is not stocked about having 3 fish tank in the new house. RS 650P, fiji cube 18.5, RFA   and the new one. even if its in the basement fish room. I mean I dont blame here,  so we are working for a solution where we both get what we want. she's a real keeper for sure 😄 

so one thought that came up was after a year I  tank it down. my thoughts where what ever nano is doing better I keep it,  the other gets mixed in to the larger tank.  

the challenge with that was my them( one that I am thinking of anyway )  might not mix or play well with the larger reef.  but I can always change.  

just thinking out load here to other reef nerds and fish geeks who "get it" prob. a good thing she not in to reefing or else I would have way to many tanks to afford and take care of.   better to have one or two really nice tanks that 3-10 so so one I guess.

NoOneLikesADryTang
5 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

had the convo with the GF and he is not stocked about having 3 fish tank in the new house. RS 650P, fiji cube 18.5, RFA   and the new one. even if its in the basement fish room. I mean I dont blame here,  so we are working for a solution where we both get what we want. she's a real keeper for sure 😄 

so one thought that came up was after a year I  tank it down. my thoughts where what ever nano is doing better I keep it,  the other gets mixed in to the larger tank.  

the challenge with that was my them( one that I am thinking of anyway )  might not mix or play well with the larger reef.  but I can always change.  

just thinking out load here to other reef nerds and fish geeks who "get it" prob. a good thing she not in to reefing or else I would have way to many tanks to afford and take care of.   better to have one or two really nice tanks that 3-10 so so one I guess.

Just call this one her tank - and you have a year to stock it with things she likes... At the end of the year, voila! She won't want to take it down. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
This guy is extra salty
2 hours ago, devaji108 said:

Go t5

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Ok, so I saw, but have not read, that @tamberev has this system. Must check him out!

I am terrible at updating but it is still running, will be 6 years in June. 

Cold water tanks don't evaporate much at all... so no top off in nearly 6 years is really nice 🙂

• Like 5
36 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

You own an entire house but having four fish tanks is "too many?" 🤔I have four alone in my bedroom right now. IDK man maybe this is why I'm still single. 

I'm not planning on keeping the contest tank around forever but only because I love to build things up and tear them down... I'm constantly rebuilding and rescaping my freshwater tanks, they never stay the same for long. It helps that I don't own a home so every couple years I end up moving and "consolidating" a couple aquariums into one just to make things easier. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Hahahaha we have had 4 freshwater tanks in our house for 10+ years and now 2 saltwater.. and a palidarium full of bromaliads..  and that's me behaving myself.. years ago I had 22 tanks at one time. I guess I lucked out because my wife loves them as much as I do and didnt bat an eye when I setup my contest tank. Guess I'm spoiled..

You could always take the contest tank down after a year and anything that cant be moved to the big tank can be sold or traded for things that will play well.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

@Christopher Marks you are going to get a reputation for breaking up relationships with this contest.  Maybe we need relationship counseling and divorce attorneys as sponsors.  

You related to phillycheesesteakhamsammich dude ? 

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, devaji108 said:

I never wanted a third tank 😂 but since it’s now setup, and dead silent i feel like I will probably keep it after the year, unless it’s not doing well. And with being so small I can alays just put the rock and coral into one of the other tanks no big deal. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, devaji108 said:

My 100 days contest (WINNER!) tank is still up and running. I put too much emotional investment and time into it to EVER take it down (unless something better comes along).

• Like 8
6 hours ago, devaji108 said:

My old school pico is still up but I’m having a hell of a time with it. Need to link my ‘battle with chrysophytes, bacterial bloom and now brown algae” thread to it so the whole story is there. 

• Sad 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic