inTank Media Baskets

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks
20 hours ago, SassyPistol said:

So... a friend of mine showed me the challenge and I ended up creating an account to ask my questions. lol

The first and the biggest question for me is: does a standard Aqueon aquarium with a MATTEN FILTER at one end counts as an AIO aquarium??

Thanks in advance.

Whoa that's a neat idea! I wasn't familiar with Matten Filters.

As long as it is being used to divide the aquarium to provide a separate 'compartment' for equipment and a return pump to the display, I say it qualifies. It seems capable of being functionally equal to a traditional AIO divider, but uses many pores instead of traditional overflow slots. 

12 hours ago, Saltslinger said:

Can I get a judges opinion on something similar? 🙃

Does it count for an AIO if I have a rockwall that's non-permenant, i.e. being held in place by suction cups?

I tried to silicone it in place but all I got was little smudges of clear silicone over the entire glass of the tank, heh 😅Not gonna lie I really wanna just give up and leave it as is

Hmm... I'm inclined to say no because I'm not sure if it would really create an 'all-in-one style' tank without better separation. Would you be plumbing a return pump through it? Photos may help make it more clear.

8 hours ago, Maddlesrain said:

If I can scrounge together the equipment, I’d be interested in joining! So, from what I understand, a DIY AIO tank is acceptable? 
Also, if I don’t want any filter media, does it need to have an AIO compartment or could I use a ‘naked’ tank in that case? 🤔

DIY tanks are welcomed, but they will need to have an 'all-in-one style' filtration compartment of some sort, even there's no mechanical filtration in place. Some people are just making their filtration compartment large enough for a heater and return pump.

• Like 10
12 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Whoa that's a neat idea! I wasn't familiar with Matten Filters.

As long as it is being used to divide the aquarium to provide a separate 'compartment' for equipment and a return pump to the display, I say it qualifies. It seems capable of being functionally equal to a traditional AIO divider, but uses many pores instead of traditional overflow slots. 

That's reassuring to hear! I do have one more point to clarify though... since the traditional Matten filters are powered by external air pump, with no return pump inside of the compartment, would that be considered a rule breaker? 

Christopher Marks
18 minutes ago, SassyPistol said:

That's reassuring to hear! I do have one more point to clarify though... since the traditional Matten filters are powered by external air pump, with no return pump inside of the compartment, would that be considered a rule breaker? 

Hmm, I must have misunderstood how Matten filters work. I thought it was a permeable sponge 'wall' with a return pump plumbed through the top? This is the way that I perceive it working:

attachment.php?attachmentid=47117&d=1465

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hmm, I must have misunderstood how Matten filters work. I thought it was a permeable sponge 'wall' with a return pump plumbed through the top?

Well most of the ones that I have come across use the external air pump to create an upward siphon to move water through the top. (similar to how a sponge filter creates its flow) I can however change up the design a little bit by adding an actual pump to it inside the compartment if the original version is going to be a problem.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks
Just now, SassyPistol said:

Well most of the ones that I have come across use the external air pump to create an upward siphon to move water through the top. (similar to how a sponge filter creates its flow) I can however change up the design a little bit by adding an actual pump to it inside the compartment if the original version is going to be a problem.

Yeah, stick to a return pump please, to stay true to the 'all-in-one' tank concept.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Seea said:

ok I’ll look into Fiji cubes

dont get me wrong IM makes great tanks. but I like options in my life. 

hmmm maybe that is why I am between 4 tanks for the challenge..lol 

27 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hmm, I must have misunderstood how Matten filters work. I thought it was a permeable sponge 'wall' with a return pump plumbed through the top? This is the way that I perceive it working:

attachment.php?attachmentid=47117&d=1465

that is how I was thinking it would work too.  a cheap option, so there is really no reason now for all you hold outs not to join in,

• Like 3

:ninja:

Still need to chisel apart some rock for some larger/better structure, but I moved some live over from the 40 breeder complete with hitchhikers. 

IMG_20200213_195056.jpg

• Like 7
This guy is extra salty
28 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

:ninja:

Still need to chisel apart some rock for some larger/better structure, but I moved some live over from the 40 breeder complete with hitchhikers. 

IMG_20200213_195056.jpg

I’m trying to figure out what you’re watching on the tube

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Yeah, stick to a return pump please, to stay true to the 'all-in-one' tank concept.

As I was planning my build, another question popped up. I have an Aqueon Quietflow Internal Filter that I already have laying around, would that be a suitable substitute for a return? Link to the product attached. https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Quietflow-Internal-Filter-Gallon/dp/B00AWV4R8I

I promise that I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to make it as cost efficient as possible on equipment so i can spend that money on CORALS later. I really appreciate your help. 🙂

This guy is extra salty
23 minutes ago, SassyPistol said:

As I was planning my build, another question popped up. I have an Aqueon Quietflow Internal Filter that I already have laying around, would that be a suitable substitute for a return? Link to the product attached. https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Quietflow-Internal-Filter-Gallon/dp/B00AWV4R8I

I promise that I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to make it as cost efficient as possible on equipment so i can spend that money on CORALS later. I really appreciate your help. 🙂

That could possibly work 

IF you have it behind a partitioned section within the tank providing filtration

• Like 2
9 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I’m trying to figure out what you’re watching on the tube

Hiroyuki Terada - Diaries of a Master Sushi Chef on YouTube, he's filleting a Turbot 🙂 

Christopher Marks
10 hours ago, SassyPistol said:

As long as it is pumping from behind the partition wall, that will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

This is such a cool contest... The tank keeper keeps telling me that we all ready have too many tanks (5), but I don't see what the harm would be in one more. Maybe a nice Valentine's Day gift of a shiny new AIO would be enough to tip it over the edge... 

Or, and this is a big OR... I've still got 15 more days to talk my way in to it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic