Pod Your Reef

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

15 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Dosing ammonia 

You might be wasting time man. In a bare tank with no fish, no rock, no sand there is no ammonia to process. Bacteria will colonise on the surfaces but you will never see a "cycle" in form of ammonia spike, then nitrites, then nitrates, etc.

Once you add rock, you will most likely restart the process. I would empty the tank if you want to participate and just cycle some rock and sand in a bucket. Then add to the tank with fresh saltwater once the contest begins 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Smurf said:

If I started my tank last week, am I eligible?

I am still cycling. No livestock yet. Not even rock. 

Technically no.  However, being that it's still very new and there is no livestock, I believe that you could still enter if you break it down, dry it out, and start a new thread (following the rules).

2 hours ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Sorry I'm a little unsure. Would an external container connected to a skimmer for waste count as "external" equimpent?

Note that I'm not the rule enforcer, @Christopher Marks will have to make the determination; however, I would say that if it's "connected", then it wouldn't be allowed.  A discharge tube which isn't connected might be allowed. :unsure:

• Like 2

Ahhhh I just emptied my little 3g tank last weekend after a dino outbreak to go back to only two salt tanks, as three seemed just too much to manage. 

It wasn't an AIO though...but seeing @KnH's post reminded me that my freshwater guppy tank is!!

Now I'm considering transferring the guppies to the old 3 gallon and stealing their marineland portrait 5g for this challenge... or maybe upgrade them to a cheapy 10g...hrmmmm

• Like 5
3 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

I'm going to need @spectra to join this so I can get some updated pics for my thread 

Well not sure on this one...................thinking about it but hell got rid of the UN tank and also IM14 from the contest a few years ago..........

• Wow 1
12 hours ago, spectra said:

Well not sure on this one...................thinking about it but hell got rid of the UN tank and also IM14 from the contest a few years ago..........

Who gets rid of tanks?!? You store them, building an obnoxious collection just in case a Nano-Reef contest is posted!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 12
  • Thanks 1
Christopher Marks
14 hours ago, SliceGolfer said:

@Christopher Marks 

Question regarding equipment. Are dosing pumps fair game for the contest to dose alk/ca/mg supplements?

External dosing and top-off lines will be permitted. Liquid should be flowing into the tank and not out 😉 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Who gets rid of tanks?!? You store them, building an obnoxious collection just in case a Nano-Reef contest is posted!!

Well then I would need to build another room......... :lol: my list of tanks over the past years since I got back in..........IM20, 40 breeder, IM10, Versa 42, Custom 100, UNS 2 1/2, IM25 lagoon and the current monster the Red Sea 750..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1

I literally just started cycling my first tank today but didn't realize this challenge was happening until Ratvan just pointed it out to me in my journal. Because of that I don't have a dry pic of my tank with a food condiment inside. Can I still enter without that?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Jerad81 said:

Because of that I don't have a dry pic of my tank with a food condiment inside. Can I still enter without that?

You'll have to empty it out, dry it out, then take a proper pic.  Shouldn't be too hard, if you still wish to enter.  Put the rock and water in 5 gallon buckets while you take the entry photo.  Then you'll need a contest thread.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, seabass said:

You'll have to empty it out, dry it out, then take a proper pic.  Shouldn't be too hard, if you still wish to enter.  Put the rock and water in 5 gallon buckets while you take the entry photo.  Then you'll need a contest thread.

Well, I guess I know what I'm doing the rest of the day now. I suppose I'll have to go buy some extra buckets to hold it all while I'm drying the tank.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

This went a lot faster than I expected! Here is the link to my new journal and my dry condiment pic. Now I just have to fill my tank back up and start cycling again!

20200202_133215.jpg

• Like 8

I really want to enter but it would mean tearing down my current tank... Part of me wants to because I scratched the front glass quite badly and part of me wants to really see how far I can take the tank....

Decisions 😔

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic