Top Shelf Aquatics

Domenic

Is this anemone dead or alive? Got home from work and my pair of clownfish we’re dead on the sand, water was milky but protein skimmer and pump were off also (forgot to turn back on after feeding) the anemone had it’s mouth wide open I took out my zoa’s and mushroom out and put them in bowl with changed water, same with the anemone. The zoos are starting to open up again and the anemones mouth closed up mostly. Can anybody with experience please help I don’t know what crashed the tank. Any and all advice would be appreciated thanks everyone 

C3F89E1D-C4F6-418D-8388-A4A9923C5E6C.jpeg

4C77ED81-2B04-4BB1-9C43-BF5E0EE941B2.jpeg

ChristopherDido
22 minutes ago, Domenic said:

Is this anemone dead or alive? Got home from work and my pair of clownfish we’re dead on the sand, water was milky but protein skimmer and pump were off also (forgot to turn back on after feeding) the anemone had it’s mouth wide open I took out my zoa’s and mushroom out and put them in bowl with changed water, same with the anemone. The zoos are starting to open up again and the anemones mouth closed up mostly. Can anybody with experience please help I don’t know what crashed the tank. Any and all advice would be appreciated thanks everyone 

C3F89E1D-C4F6-418D-8388-A4A9923C5E6C.jpeg

4C77ED81-2B04-4BB1-9C43-BF5E0EE941B2.jpeg

I can take a guess what may have crashed the tank, I almost did the same, only lost a few invertebrates (snails, Pistol Shrimp and two a-hole emeralds.) You mention you left the pump and skimmer turned off, did you have any circulation? And how long were they off?

I left all off for about 15hrs, same reason as you forgot to turn back on after a feeding. Hard lesson to learn.

30 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

I can take a guess what may have crashed the tank, I almost did the same, only lost a few invertebrates (snails, Pistol Shrimp and two a-hole emeralds.) You mention you left the pump and skimmer turned off, did you have any circulation? And how long were they off?

I left all off for about 15hrs, same reason as you forgot to turn back on after a feeding. Hard lesson to learn.

They were off for about 13 or 14 hours but definitely not longer than 15, I feel so bad 

23 minutes ago, mrbill said:

Nem looks ok but watch it closely for a few days. When they actually die they look like a slimey, stringy  pile of goo. Sorry about the clowns.

I want to put it back in the tank but I’m afraid it’s gonna die, I don’t have much more salt left to do another wc but it’s still in the bowl rn I know it’s unhappy bc now it’s got some white stuff coming out the mouth also just waiting for the sand to clear up 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Opotter said:

Is the foot still sticky?  Looks like he attached himself to the side of that bowl?  If so, I would say alive but unhappy.

I am going to be putting him him back in the tank soon but the foot is not sticky at all. 

ChristopherDido
1 hour ago, Domenic said:

They were off for about 13 or 14 hours but definitely not longer than 15, I feel so bad 

It's like I told myself, I felt bad, but it will definitely never happen again. Sometimes we make hard mistakes, so we learn to never do them again. Good luck with the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 7:14 PM, Domenic said:

pump were off also (forgot to turn back on after feeding

So corals and anemones require flow in order to breath and other crucial things.   (Read up on "coral boundary layer".)

The anemone should be fine....they get stranded without flow at low tides regularly.  Assuming you got him back in the tank (with flow!!!) soon enough, he'll recover.

The zoa's and mushrooms may or may not be fine.....but in general mushrooms are unkillable and zoanthids are frequently moody for no apparent reason.  Hope that helps interpret any changes you see. 😉