November 6th

Temperature 75.4 F

Salinity 1.021 sg

Alkalinity 9.3 dKh

Calcium 450 ppm

Magnesium 1350 ppm

Phosphate 0.05 ppm

Nitrate <5 ppm

Not a whole lot going on. I'm trying to recover some coral frags from SAF.

I've considered a few of their auctions, they frequently have great prices, and obviously some fairly-healthy animals, but their photos reveal just about every pest I can think of; I've seen byropsis, bubble algae, blue cloves, aiptasia, planaria, oiy lol... It's a shame because they seem to be quite a nice place, maybe I'm too picky.

DISQUALIFIED-QQ
On 11/6/2020 at 9:42 PM, Amphrites said:

I've considered a few of their auctions, they frequently have great prices, and obviously some fairly-healthy animals, but their photos reveal just about every pest I can think of; I've seen byropsis, bubble algae, blue cloves, aiptasia, planaria, oiy lol... It's a shame because they seem to be quite a nice place, maybe I'm too picky.

Wow I'm actually glad I did a 12 minute Bayer dip for the corals then.

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

November 11th

Temperature 79.3 F

Salinity 1.021 sg

Alkalinity 9.6 dKh

Calcium 410 ppm

Magnesium 1410 ppm

Phosphate 0.025 ppm

Nitrate < 3 ppm

GHA grew out some so I went through a good haircuit of the tank. Hopefully with the shorter algae the snails can get to it. I glued down the blue digitata and bali green slimer. I'm still on the fence about the bleached seriatopora. The meteor shower is pretty much toast unless something miraculous occurs. I guess I will place another Tidal Gardens order later.

• Like 1
DISQUALIFIED-QQ
2 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

Why is salinity so low? 

I added an extra gallon of RODI water as it has been unseasonably warm this week in Maryland, so evaporation happened quicker than expected. I'm also running topless so that's also part of it.

• Like 1
DISQUALIFIED-QQ

oh right. pictures. this was from last week's coral haul.

IMG_20201104_134852.thumb.jpg.3004e4db3086e3275eb632d27d857a6e.jpg

Dripping with bag water and my water. At the same time, I'm dipping with Seachem Reef Dip for about 30 minutes.

I do like a 5% Bayer dip for 10 minutes for any new comers now. I haven't done it on softies but we'll find out eventually. You can guess which frags came from where.

IMG_20201104_141946.thumb.jpg.6035a906ce6c19438da3164937cdbb5c.jpgIMG_20201104_142004.thumb.jpg.0dd6ba20097a2a51962466edfa7709d5.jpgIMG_20201104_142034.thumb.jpg.c95475a58cffc3d82e395d1fd16fcb68.jpgIMG_20201104_142135.thumb.jpg.3851a9912d8ada1b4261af0dfcad52c4.jpg

Welp here it is.

IMG_20201104_152800.thumb.jpg.a5e2e26c2a12db3525fd44526045b6a9.jpg

But yeah I think for the holiday shopping will be some corals on top of a PlayStation 5 (console, I'm a 90s kid so not having a CD is foreign).

• Like 1

Nice. I just had an issue with recalibrating my refractometer and it looks like your salinity over the last month or so have been a little low at times. Do you have an ATO?

DISQUALIFIED-QQ
On 11/12/2020 at 7:44 PM, farkwar said:

Is that last one a fast grower?

Which one? The SPS corals I've picked so far are supposedly unfussy decent growers. I think as long as there's enough lighting, plenty of flow, and of course elements in the water column it should be fine. The light I'm using is supposed to be good for LPS and softies, but because my SPS are placed right at the top 1 inch (basically the water line), the PAR value should be where they need to be. I've been tempted to rent a meter from BRS, but with the forest fire behaving the way it has I don't think I need to rent one at all.

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

November 18th

Temperature 75.4 F

Salinity 1.023sg

Alkalinity 10.3 dKh

Calcium 465 ppm

Magnesium 1485 ppm

Phosphate <0.05 ppm

Nitrate 3 ppm

Carbon and GFO are back in after the long dosing of the liquid version of Chemi-clean. The sea hare rental is still putting in a lot of work and poo in my tank. I haven't had a polished tank like this in a couple months. Nice.

Dosing magnesium using Fluval Mg, the green bottle. I ordered some Tech M from Kent Marine through SaltwaterAquarium.com...among other goodies.

• Like 1
DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Grandpa passed away today. I said my goodbyes to basically a vegetable...sucks.

I did make a quick purchase from Tidal Gardens from the previous live event. Pictures will follow. Customary two step dip process happened, iodine then Bayer insecticide. Early night out for the tank. I found a replacement Meteor Shower and Birdnest. I also landed me an Utter Chaos zoa. I hear much about this strain and I'd like to have one for myself. I have also heard of it's ability to create new heads quickly.

It's been about a month since the last good change of water, so we'll have that happen this week. In the meantime I'll think about where to put the new entries. I kinda hate and love this coral game. It's an endless process of collecting.

• Sad 2
DISQUALIFIED-QQ

November 25th

Temperature 24.2 C

Salinity 33 ppt

Alkalinity 9.6 dKh

Calcium 500 ppm

Magnesium 1490 ppm

Phosphate 0.05 ppm

Nitrate 5 ppm

Seems like daily 3mL doses are too strong for the tank. I haven't really dosed since Wednesday. I'll be working on both tanks tomorrow. I've had some corals knocked around so I'll also be gluing down some frags as well.

• Like 1
DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Photo dated November 29th. Yes, I've been lazy taking pictures because I got a new smartphone and I haven't really gotten around to familiarizing with the controls that Motorola has compared to what I know from OnePlus. The camera is supposed to be slightly better. Macros will come later. IMG_20201129_183423549_HDR.thumb.jpg.d831630046d21478483e56e65d09b89d.jpg

I think I need to do something about my leather corals. They're getting pretty big, no?

I added one more zoa I found to be nice at work. There were two others that had the same color variety but one was kinda plagued with algae strands and the other didn't have as many or growing new polyps in the meh water at Petco. (The change water is only run through a 30 micron sediment cartridge and giant tank of activated carbon for those who are curious). However this particular coral came from A&M Aquatics. Maybe your LFS might source a couple things from them. It's pretty similar to a blowpop type with a orange center and a bright green skirt.

I've also diversified the dry foods, so on top of the NLS Optimum flakes I'll be feeding out OmegaOne Super Color and Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 flakes. I'd do pellet but my cardinalfish smells it and doesn't register an eating response. The flakes are a large enough target for that fish to have a pursuit response. The other fish don't care either way what I give them. The freshwater tank will also be getting some of it, too. My angelfish has grown a little quicker with the past several months of giving mysis shrimp once a week for a few months now.

Thanksgiving Day the fish got an extra portion of mysis. Lucky.

Here's a freshwater cameo (and a reflective glare of what I may look like):

IMG_20201129_183405826_HDR.thumb.jpg.10206f27ddaecca25b527bfefa2b4414.jpg

The pleco is new. Some lady didn't want it because too big and stopped eating as much algae. I don't have any algae problems, but I just liked the idea for a free pleco.

• Like 1