Top Shelf Aquatics

Rob’s 34l Flex

Robbie_Maxwell

Robbie_Maxwell

Ive been looking to set up a small reef for some time now. I was a bit indecisive of the size i was looking for but i knew i wanted something around 30-40 litres (10 gallon) so when i got the opportunity to buy a brand new 34l fluval flex for €50 i couldn’t say no. 

I know the flex out of the box is not suitable for reefing so I bought a couple bits to make it a bit more suitable. 

Current equipment:

Tank- Fluval Flex 34l

Light- hipargero led i had lying around from my other tank.

Heater- 50w eheim jager

Return pump- sicce syncra 0.5

Rock-4kg of marco rock

ATO- DD h2Ocean compact ato

Im still waiting on a quote for a custom media basket for the rear chamber and Im also looking into getting a random flow generator. 

• Like 1
Robbie_Maxwell

I test filled the tank today and put all the equipment in the rear chambers. 

I was playing around with the rock and i think this is what im gonna go for. 

let me know what you think. C54A6E2C-E1EE-47E1-95F3-DF0EF3BA9B02.thumb.jpeg.0215a62d3b33b0b4851208844d42dd9a.jpeg

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Robbie_Maxwell said:

Ive been looking to set up a small reef for some time now. I was a bit indecisive of the size i was looking for but i knew i wanted something around 30-40 litres (10 gallon) so when i got the opportunity to buy a brand new 34l fluval flex for €50 i couldn’t say no. 

I know the flex out of the box is not suitable for reefing so I bought a couple bits to make it a bit more suitable. 

Current equipment:

Tank- Fluval Flex 34l

Heater- 50w eheim jager

Rock-4kg of marco rock

Im still waiting on a quote for a custom media basket for the rear chamber and Im also looking into getting a random flow generator. 

Damn that is a good deal on the tank. Have you considered a DIY media rack/basket? I guess it depends on the quote. 🤷‍♂️

17 minutes ago, Robbie_Maxwell said:

I test filled the tank today and put all the equipment in the rear chambers. 

I was playing around with the rock and i think this is what im gonna go for. 

let me know what you think. C54A6E2C-E1EE-47E1-95F3-DF0EF3BA9B02.thumb.jpeg.0215a62d3b33b0b4851208844d42dd9a.jpeg

I like it, can you still clean all the way to the base on the right? Looks a little snug and I know the build up would annoy me

Where in Ireland are you by the way? 

• Like 1
Robbie_Maxwell

Ya i was delighted when i saw it. I haven’t really thought about a diy media basket. As you say ill see what the quote is like before i rule diy out completely. 

i still need to put the sand in so ill probably slide the scape over about half an inch to the left to give myself that space to clean around it. 

Im living in Cork. Reef keeping definitely isnt very popular in my area so no lfs that carry saltwater.  Any live stock will have to come from my other tank or online orders. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
Robbie_Maxwell

This is how the tank currently looks as of today.

The price i was given for the media basket was more than i was expecting so I decided to DIY it. Waiting on supplies should have it done by this weekend. 

I ordered a cheap random flow generator from ebay so ill see how that works when it arrives. 

Added a few small frags i made from what i had in my main tank. 
Current frags:

gsp

neon candy cane

red plating monti 

blue/silver digi

forest fire digi

red digi

milka stylo

also have 2 zoa frags that i dont know the names of. 

sorry for all the blue. I need to get myself a gel filter. 

image.jpg

• Like 2
On 1/30/2020 at 10:02 PM, Robbie_Maxwell said:

Current equipment:

Tank- Fluval Flex 34l

Heater- 50w eheim jager

Rock-4kg of marco rock

If your after some random flow nozzles I have had a big batch 3D printed and will not be using all of them. They at 1/4” and I have adaptors to fit 2 to 1/2” loc-line. Not sure what your return size is??

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Robbie_Maxwell

Update: 10/3/20

So far so good on my water change schedule. Ive been sticking to 10% every Wednesday as i finish college early so its easy to get it done. 

I got two more frags from a guy locally. A ricordea florida and a green hairy muchroom. 

The random flow generator from ebay finally came and i put that on the tank yesterday. So far so good. Seems to have added to the turbulence in the tank. 

I also ordered a jebao sw2 that will hopefully be here by the end of the week. The powerhead i have on it now just isnt doing the job. 

Sps frags are starting to encrust nicely on the plugs with good polyp extension which is always a good sign. 

Stocking wise i think im going to go for a yasha goby and pistol shrimp pair but am open to any other suggestions if you want to send them my way. 

4FEB158C-6412-4058-9872-A386E5BE0EC4.jpeg

• 1 year later...
Robbie_Maxwell
On 9/11/2021 at 7:36 PM, Murphych said:

Wonder how this looks now

Unfortunately had to shut down both my systems when i moved. hoping to get back into the swing of things again

• Like 2