Pod Your Reef

Shelf Spec III: 365 day challenge: time lapse video of spawning

Smurf

I've got some new additions!

I added some scarlet hermits as well as the pistol shrimp that I was eyeing all week! Luckily I live about 20 minutes away and acclimation was quick and easy. Hopefully I can say the same for the algae clean up I hope for them to do. I'll probably purchase more inverts in the coming days. I am really excited to see the pistol shrimp get to work. I feel like I've made a good small habitat for him/her already. (really hard to sex them). I dispersed the crushed coral and large pieces of debris around cave entrances and lower hanging rocks to attract him closer to the areas I have better visibility of from my vantage.

Speaking of inverts, my pod population is now out of control! Lights out or lights on - my rock work and glass is just crawling with all types of different pods and some snails and asterinas. I also seen two huge bristle worms hanging around the live rock I used to seed my cured rock. Good trade off for my really small hair algae problem ATM. My tank has taken a huge dive into the brown side, I hope to soon turn things around in the next week or two.

When the LFS was ringing in my order - I couldn't help but round up my order with a $5 frag. I had to! Since @Ratvan inspired me with his recent montipora garden idea, I thought I'd jump on the band wagon! My LFS had this encrusting montipora frag with 4 misc. brown paly polyps attached to it. The frag is a decent size for $5 and I couldn't pass up the idea of using this first piece of coral as an indicator species! They will be well taken care of 'guinea pigs' of the tank. 

I am planning on my first water change today and I've found a good and easy system to calculate the changes. I have hundreds of these plastic 1 quart containers with lids - all spill proof. 2.6 gallons is about 10.4 liquid quarts. Since it is easier for me mixing in bigger batches - mixing only a gallon of water a month for weekly water changes is the route I will probably go down. I'll have 5 quarts of fresh salt water on hand in the beginning of the month and will be storing them in these quart containers tucked away. Whenever I need to do a change, 1 quart in - 1 quart out should be about 10.25% per week.

I am very tempted to go back tomorrow and check out my LFS' new shipment of stuff. I already know he is going to probably try to make room for his new livestock. This might mean more $5 frags! He told me he'll let me in early for the unboxing and acclimation process he does. Pictures to come!

• Like 2

Love watching these little guys. I don’t think I need any more of a CUC. These guys get the job done. 

A little night time single warm led light that is usb powered by a little power bank. I use this light to view night time activity. 

B7E09E68-B7BB-46F7-9968-3FA7A1D3D813.jpeg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

My RFA has began spawning. I wish I had other RFA’s in the tank and they were female so I could see little babies!

Everything is going smoothly for now. I really want to stock up more but I am never finding the time to visit the LFS. 

here are some shots I took before and after the spawning:

EEF64EF6-576C-4C55-95A8-6629B65C6144.jpeg

9E6CC266-7FB0-4916-B3B8-1E9AC41D447D.jpeg

830BCE29-925F-4075-B782-D6C6BAD036E0.jpeg

9FF3DAD1-80B4-4735-B052-D7A0EE24BB7F.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Thanks, guys. I plan on trying to stop by the LFS later this week to see if they have any new RFA’s with cool colors. I want to fill up the sand bed / bottom of the rock work. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know if moon phases have anything to do with RFA’s spawning?

there was a full moon last night as well. Today was 97.4% illuminated. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Smurf said:

there was a full moon last night as well. Today was 97.4% illuminated. 

I'd say that it was pretty likely, quite a few papers on the subject.

Here is a less wordy one I found

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07924259.2018.1434245?scroll=top&needAccess=true&journalCode=tinv20

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Smurf said:

It generally occurs around the solstices and the equinoxes. 

And by around I mean, in my experience - and I’ve had quite a few spawns now- a 2 week window on either side of it. (So a month)

But, there’s always that one who decides he’s horny 🥰 on some random Tuesday a lets loose! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 3/10/2020 at 4:23 AM, Smurf said:

My RFA has began spawning. I wish I had other RFA’s in the tank and they were female so I could see little babies!

Everything is going smoothly for now. I really want to stock up more but I am never finding the time to visit the LFS. 

here are some shots I took before and after the spawning:

EEF64EF6-576C-4C55-95A8-6629B65C6144.jpeg

9E6CC266-7FB0-4916-B3B8-1E9AC41D447D.jpeg

830BCE29-925F-4075-B782-D6C6BAD036E0.jpeg

9FF3DAD1-80B4-4735-B052-D7A0EE24BB7F.jpeg

I just wanna say that those are gorgeous pictures. I can see every detail and it looks great. Good job👍

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Smurf said:

@SeaFurn have you ever seen babies after the spawning events? Given some time of course. 

I have so many right now - over 200 in my 45g. From my Insta - 

• Like 1
  • Wow 4

so I guess I am quarantined till the end of the month... on the lighter side this should be fun to get time to tinker with the little tank. 

Trying out the overkill Kessil a350w I had in the storage. Colors are looking way more killer! Thinking I’m gonna find a way to mount it. 

I am running the kessil at around 18%-20% cranked

1B89ECB3-D1FF-43D4-915A-92AD9D0E082E.jpeg

E76A9C81-2A54-4969-BE1F-A877B0DAC3AC.jpeg

BD1872BA-6AA0-4056-A612-1FBD96D989D9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is an updated FTS and top down of the tank for the contest.

Unfortunately after adding some frags to my tank last week from a SPS dominant local reefer my Acans came down with some really bad BJD.. 😞

After dipping and trying to save the acans - they passed away officially last night. The die off was contaminating my water and caused a nutrient uptick which resulted in a cyano outbreak. It is thick and not completely taking over just yet.

I added some nice arctic ice palys, orange gold flake zoas, mohawk palys, ORA birdsnest, tri color Valida (my fave), electric lime birdsnest & red sea pom pom xenia (which I am loving).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1