Top Shelf Aquatics

Shelf Spec III: 365 day challenge: time lapse video of spawning

Smurf

I just read the whole thread, I love your little tank it’s awesome ! You still thinking of getting the watchman goby ? I just got a paired yellow watchman and pistol shrimp today for my 5 gallon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/16/2020 at 10:58 PM, BlakeM15 said:

I just read the whole thread, I love your little tank it’s awesome ! You still thinking of getting the watchman goby ? I just got a paired yellow watchman and pistol shrimp today for my 5 gallon

Thanks for checking it out. What kind of pistol shrimp do you have? Mine seems pretty happy and constantly busy. Definitely the boss of the tank. My rock work is working out and also gives him hidden passages up into the top rock.

I am still in the air about the goby - if I find one small enough in time before I move out and upgrade next year. Thanks for chiming in!

10 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Yay growth

Had a bout with cyano and after adding some of the latest corals - my acan didn’t hang on.. 😞 my alk swung a bit crazy and I just stabilized everything this week.

• Sad 1
On 4/20/2020 at 12:10 PM, debbeach13 said:

Sorry about the acan. Sounds like things are back on track now. Keeping a pico stable is certainly a challenge. Glad your sticking with it.

It is very much a challenge indeed! Being stuck inside quarantine is proving to help. I'll be sticking with it through the 365 day challenge. Wish me luck. I still have much to learn.

On 4/12/2020 at 2:04 PM, Smurf said:

Here is an updated FTS and top down of the tank for the contest.

Unfortunately after adding some frags to my tank last week from a SPS dominant local reefer my Acans came down with some really bad BJD.. 😞

After dipping and trying to save the acans - they passed away officially last night. The die off was contaminating my water and caused a nutrient uptick which resulted in a cyano outbreak. It is thick and not completely taking over just yet.

I added some nice arctic ice palys, orange gold flake zoas, mohawk palys, ORA birdsnest, tri color Valida (my fave), electric lime birdsnest & red sea pom pom xenia (which I am loving).

Well that escalated quickly :happydance:

This should look really nice when things grow out. Bummer about the acan but everything else seems happy. Following!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/26/2020 at 11:47 AM, Smurf said:

Photo dump of some diff views of the tank:

C9BF94BC-C8D3-4DA5-99A7-1C64F2D0A6E7.jpeg

B530C12A-539D-410A-A002-32BFD340FB35.jpeg

A7416327-55AB-415E-8031-78DBFA7A2CA9.jpeg

8EC78715-24F4-4ECE-9FB2-A38C13F5F2BB.jpeg

DDD9BB63-A14E-42FC-948C-FC43BEF7E84C.jpeg

9118A067-9547-45F1-A301-A282B3BD544A.jpeg

180825C8-B012-4257-B53C-BF8478A87A8E.jpeg

DE08DFC1-EF45-4485-B95E-82C1BAD2EE11.jpeg

29590F18-D373-4E11-BD49-AABCB11FB2B2.jpeg

Beautiful! Especially love your nems in these shots. 

• Like 1

Does anyone remember this video from growing up? For me it was middle school when I first saw it. Idk why It really stuck with me and here I am confirming this theory! 

here is my tank right behind the overflow in the first chamber 

831A7BDC-31FB-407E-96AE-9ABF7A62A055.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
On 4/30/2020 at 11:58 AM, banasophia said:

Beautiful! Especially love your nems in these shots. 

Thank you! I appreciate you checking it out! 

the nems are battling for some real estate right now and I am looking to reposition one of them. They ultimately decide where they wanna be - so I am hoping they squash the beef before I have to split them up. They look nice around each other but any closer and I’m going to split em up. 

• Like 2
banasophia
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

Does anyone remember this video from growing up? For me it was middle school when I first saw it. Idk why It really stuck with me and here I am confirming this theory! 

here is my tank right behind the overflow in the first chamber 

831A7BDC-31FB-407E-96AE-9ABF7A62A055.jpeg

Whoa, awesome observation!!! Enjoyed the video, never saw that before but of course I remember learning about the double slit experiment way back when. Thanks for posting, so glad I was following along and caught it!

Some pretty fast growth on the acro and birds nest. 

The montipora setosa is coloring up beautifully and has crazy polyp extension day and night. Kinda of a slow grower. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...