Smurf

Fluval Spec III: Pistol shrimp killing bristle worm

Smurf

I've got some new additions!

I added some scarlet hermits as well as the pistol shrimp that I was eyeing all week! Luckily I live about 20 minutes away and acclimation was quick and easy. Hopefully I can say the same for the algae clean up I hope for them to do. I'll probably purchase more inverts in the coming days. I am really excited to see the pistol shrimp get to work. I feel like I've made a good small habitat for him/her already. (really hard to sex them). I dispersed the crushed coral and large pieces of debris around cave entrances and lower hanging rocks to attract him closer to the areas I have better visibility of from my vantage.

Speaking of inverts, my pod population is now out of control! Lights out or lights on - my rock work and glass is just crawling with all types of different pods and some snails and asterinas. I also seen two huge bristle worms hanging around the live rock I used to seed my cured rock. Good trade off for my really small hair algae problem ATM. My tank has taken a huge dive into the brown side, I hope to soon turn things around in the next week or two.

When the LFS was ringing in my order - I couldn't help but round up my order with a $5 frag. I had to! Since @Ratvan inspired me with his recent montipora garden idea, I thought I'd jump on the band wagon! My LFS had this encrusting montipora frag with 4 misc. brown paly polyps attached to it. The frag is a decent size for $5 and I couldn't pass up the idea of using this first piece of coral as an indicator species! They will be well taken care of 'guinea pigs' of the tank. 

I am planning on my first water change today and I've found a good and easy system to calculate the changes. I have hundreds of these plastic 1 quart containers with lids - all spill proof. 2.6 gallons is about 10.4 liquid quarts. Since it is easier for me mixing in bigger batches - mixing only a gallon of water a month for weekly water changes is the route I will probably go down. I'll have 5 quarts of fresh salt water on hand in the beginning of the month and will be storing them in these quart containers tucked away. Whenever I need to do a change, 1 quart in - 1 quart out should be about 10.25% per week.

I am very tempted to go back tomorrow and check out my LFS' new shipment of stuff. I already know he is going to probably try to make room for his new livestock. This might mean more $5 frags! He told me he'll let me in early for the unboxing and acclimation process he does. Pictures to come!

• Like 2

Smurf

D3237AEE-D519-4C6F-BBD0-07789302516B.jpeg

• Like 3

Smurf

Love watching these little guys. I don’t think I need any more of a CUC. These guys get the job done. 

A little night time single warm led light that is usb powered by a little power bank. I use this light to view night time activity. 

B7E09E68-B7BB-46F7-9968-3FA7A1D3D813.jpeg

• Like 3

This guy is extra salty

Here to lurk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smurf

I am kinda digging’ this natural light photo quality at night. 

I picked up this cool RFA. Hope they get along! 

A29B7181-543C-49FB-B56A-806864ACD20C.jpeg

D2F174DC-068C-4F47-85FE-76A57B39C110.jpeg

9952DD99-008D-41B7-934B-D3DA39A04BBE.jpeg

• Like 3

Azur

Those are some great rocks Smurf. Digging the new additions, too 😎

• Thanks 1

Ratvan
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

I am kinda digging’ this natural light photo quality at night. 

I picked up this cool RFA. Hope they get along! 

A29B7181-543C-49FB-B56A-806864ACD20C.jpeg

D2F174DC-068C-4F47-85FE-76A57B39C110.jpeg

9952DD99-008D-41B7-934B-D3DA39A04BBE.jpeg

Gorgeous RFA there mate

• Thanks 1

seabass
On 2/24/2020 at 12:58 AM, Smurf said:

Hope they get along!

They tend to coexist pretty well.  However, it's likely that one will eventually move away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smurf

So this happened last night.. pretty crazy watching it. 

so sorry - ran out of room on my damn phone. 

CA8F78EE-A367-430F-8745-9C00F03485B3.jpeg