Cultivated Reef

Light for 10g tank

Spark326

Are these specs ok for a 10g tank with a small polythoa coral frag?
I would also really love to get a bubble tip anemone for my clownfish..
Are there other cheaper alternatives to T5 and the other well known lights? Anything under $40?

748054DB-201E-44ED-B90B-FDC50596C0E1.jpeg

6D013AF9-0610-4F9C-8E51-80B22B86FD73.png

Might be a tight budget to work with. I would save some money and go with something a little higher in quality and higher in wattage. 

palys can be under a wide range of different types of lighting, I would do a minimum of 4-8watts per gallon as a short hand reference for t5. 

LED is a whole other ball game I don’t think I can shed proper info on. 

• Like 1

Palythoas, maybe. But a bubble tip is going to need much better lighting, and is also not a good idea in a 10 gallon, not for a beginner. It'll take up a good third of the tank when fully grown, and will have a very large bio-load. Look into soft corals like xenia as alternate hosts, or some sort of macroalgae that the clowns can burrow into- they don't really seem to know the difference.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Spark326 said:

Are these specs ok for a 10g tank with a small polythoa coral frag?
I would also really love to get a bubble tip anemone for my clownfish..
Are there other cheaper alternatives to T5 and the other well known lights? Anything under $40?

748054DB-201E-44ED-B90B-FDC50596C0E1.jpeg

6D013AF9-0610-4F9C-8E51-80B22B86FD73.png

This light is for a freshwater tank. Plays might survive under it same with some softies but you won't get much growth, corals will stay brownish/flesh color.

Definitely not enough light for moat corals or anemone 

6 hours ago, karisma said:

Look at the "asta 20" i paid Less then $60 Canadian for mine. Should be enough power for your needs.

Someone else may have better input then me however.

The asta won't be enough for a 10g.

It barely grows corals in my 2.5g

You could build your own LED light if you have the time and a basic understanding of electronics?

would agree that a bubble tip might be a bad decision for your tank. You could make a lovely tank with cheaper soft corals..... I had a Pico with just softies that grew really well under a basic led light.

3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

The asta won't be enough for a 10g.

It barely grows corals in my 2.5g

Yeah i wasn't 100% sure. I knew someone else could chime in....

• Like 1

Are PAR38 bulbs still a thing, I think one of those could easily cover a 10G. 

+1 about avoiding an anemone, a torch or hammer coral would be  good alternative. I feel like those corals can take the thrashing a bit better than some others but that’s just my experience. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

Are PAR38 bulbs still a thing, I think one of those could easily cover a 10G. 

+1 about avoiding an anemone, a torch or hammer coral would be  good alternative. I feel like those corals can take the thrashing a bit better than some others but that’s just my experience. 

Ya they are.

The abi tuna blues are great. 

I've put damaged, barely any flesh left corals under them and within weeks, they repair.

• Like 2