ReefCleaners.org

Saliferous502’s 12g long

saliferous502

19 minutes ago, Dafish said:

The 22 has been sold out forever  😭. I’m waiting to get it 

BRS has the mr Aqua one, but it’s more $$ than MD’s aquamaxx.  UNS has a nice one too, but the vendors I tried charge extra for shipping, making them more than $300!

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
18 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

BRS has the mr Aqua one, but it’s more $$ than MD’s aquamaxx.  UNS has a nice one too, but the vendors I tried charge extra for shipping, making them more than $300!

Yeah I just saw that. doesn’t come with a mat so that a extra  $12 

saliferous502

No major updates, but IPSF order will be here Wednesday. Beefing up the biodiversity with the live sand activator pack, pods, brittles and bristles. Not sure how I feel about the toadstool inclusion, don’t really think the tank is ready for it, so going to monitor closely and may take to the LFS (was also trying to avoid green corals). 

Also decided that everything in the tank will be named after Marvel characters, so I’m calling this the MCU tank. 

And here’s a Saturday night bourbon in the dark pic....

AD6908D2-C9E5-4481-A243-94E0532AAF24.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

This tank is looking so sexy.  Good call on avoiding green corals.  As a relative newbie to the hobby, I regret all the green I have in my tank and I'm slowly substituting them for more colorful corals. 

• Like 1
saliferous502
1 hour ago, TatorTaco said:

This tank is looking so sexy.  Good call on avoiding green corals.  As a relative newbie to the hobby, I regret all the green I have in my tank and I'm slowly substituting them for more colorful corals. 

I feel like it’s so easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of green. And the corals look great, there is just such an abundance that if you’re not careful the tank can be 80% green in no time. 

saliferous502

IPSF order arrived this morning. Everything was packaged great, much higher numbers on the count of critters. They forgot one of the items in the package (liquid n-reducer) but don’t really need it as the cycle is done, however they were super quick to reply and are sending anyway. 

The only complaint, and it’s not even really a complaint, is that all the hermits are black and white leg. Just wanted a little variety. That being said, experience with IPSF was great and wouldn’t hesitate to order again. 

As much as I was concerned about the toadstool coral, it seems to be doing just fine. 

Assuming all numbers stay consistent through the weekend then there’ll be fish on Monday. 

DE509D81-9FF5-451B-B758-4D18CC30B078.jpeg

26B098EB-A012-434B-A6D1-03F1FC18949B.jpeg

21B5B327-7D31-4532-BF9E-CCDA50C8A1A2.jpeg

• Like 5
1 minute ago, saliferous502 said:

IPSF order arrived this morning. Everything was packaged great, much higher numbers on the count of critters. They forgot one of the items in the package (liquid n-reducer) but don’t really need it as the cycle is done, however they were super quick to reply and are sending anyway. 

The only complaint, and it’s not even really a complaint, is that all the hermits are black and white leg. Just wanted a little variety. That being said, experience with IPSF was great and wouldn’t hesitate to order again. 

As much as I was concerned about the toadstool coral, it seems to be doing just fine. 

Assuming all numbers stay consistent through the weekend then there’ll be fish on Monday. 

DE509D81-9FF5-451B-B758-4D18CC30B078.jpeg

26B098EB-A012-434B-A6D1-03F1FC18949B.jpeg

21B5B327-7D31-4532-BF9E-CCDA50C8A1A2.jpeg

I love IPSF...... I’ve had nothing but great experiences with them. 

• Like 2
saliferous502
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I love IPSF...... I’ve had nothing but great experiences with them. 

Gerald was super responsive, quick delivery, over and above on product quality. Can’t say enough. 

• Like 2
On 2/5/2020 at 12:12 PM, saliferous502 said:

Ammonia is at zero, Nitrites almost gone. About time to get the light cycle up and running and get algae going. Need some advice!

Current USA Marine Orbit users: do you have a preferred photoperiod and spectrum? What’s worked/what hasn’t? Thanks!  

so your initial cycle only took 5 days to get everything to zero?  Did you seed with anything other than sand and the dry rock?

Have you done a water change since setting up the tank, how much and how often?  What about after the cycle to zero...?

Also what was the inventory of everything you got in the order your putting in today?

saliferous502
16 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

so your initial cycle only took 5 days to get everything to zero?  Did you seed with anything?

Also what was the inventory of everything you got in the order your putting in today?

Well, yes and no I guess.

I added Bio-Spira and raw shrimp day 1. It decomposed, spiked ammonia and went all the way through the cycle in about six days. However, to be sure that the bacteria could get from ammonia to nitrates quickly, I kept adding small pieces of shrimp until the turn around was less than 24 hours. 

The order was the live sand activator pack which included live sand, mud, nitrifying bacteria, and pods. Added mini brittle stars to the order and they threw in the free toadstool coral. Overall I think there about 7 hermits that came in the sand and I can’t even count how many small snails. Also saw some worms in the mud and sand. It’s too many snails and hermits and I’ll have to take some out once they get through all the diatoms. Very pleased with the quality and quantity. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Dafish said:

Hi 👋 . So um what’s lpsf  I feel dumb asking 

Yeah, no regrets with them!! Was really pleased with my live sand activator order :))

• Like 3

I just got my tank setup last week and did the same process with a shrimp.  Waiting for things to zero out  hoping today it will be when I get home and check this evening.  This looks like a good option for me, similar tank size 18 gallon.  What package exactly did you order?  Does this give you your entire cleanup crew?

• Like 1
saliferous502
23 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

I just got my tank setup last week and did the same process with a shrimp.  Waiting for things to zero out  hoping today it will be when I get home and check this evening.  This looks like a good option for me, similar tank size 18 gallon.  What package exactly did you order?  Does this give you your entire cleanup crew?

Live Sand Activator Plus

https://www.ipsf.com/livesand.html

I think it’ll end up being too much CUC for the tank, so I’ll probably take some of the hermits and snails to LFS once initial diatom bloom is cleaned up. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, saliferous502 said:

Live Sand Activator Plus

https://www.ipsf.com/livesand.html

I think it’ll end up being too much CUC for the tank, so I’ll probably take some of the hermits and snails to LFS once initial diatom bloom is cleaned up. 

did the hermits and snails come in the live sand activator package or did you order those in addition too the kit?

saliferous502
15 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

did the hermits and snails come in the live sand activator package or did you order those in addition too the kit?

They came in the live sand.

5647920E-C783-4735-9EB3-7EA5756B37A7.png

• Like 1
saliferous502

Has anyone seen a piece like this covered with an encrusting coral or something like gsp or cloves? 

Doubtful that it would wrap around the individual branches but one can hope. 

6CAC309A-0838-45D8-B2D4-3590B91947DF.png

1 hour ago, saliferous502 said:

Has anyone seen a piece like this covered with an encrusting coral or something like gsp or cloves? 

Doubtful that it would wrap around the individual branches but one can hope. 

6CAC309A-0838-45D8-B2D4-3590B91947DF.png

Stylocoeniella, leptoseris, cyphastrea, mystic monti, porites, all would work well, trim some of the branches out for flow - and folks have done similar with pretty cool results.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
saliferous502

Well, we’ve had our first setback. 😢

Went to bed last night and everything was fine.

Woke up this morning and only saw one of the skunks. Searched high and low assuming it jumped out. Nowhere. Searched the tank, nothing. In a third glance around, saw something stuck to the outside of the power head. It was the remnants of an eyeball. 

Both fish were healthy, eating fine, swimming around. Did a water change on Monday, all parameters were good yesterday. Not sure if it died in the middle of the night and the CUC made quick work of it, or if something got a hold of it. Started with dry rock, so couldn’t be any bad hitchhiker. 

Oh well. Going to monitor the remaining clown and go from there. 

Good news is all corals and inverts look happy and healthy. 

• Sad 2

Oh man that stinks. Hopefully It was just a freak accident and nothing happens to the other one. Are you going to replace with another of the same or just leave one for now??