Aigis

Fluval Evo V replacement light

Aigis

I’m running a pico (soon-to-be) reef tank using a Fluval spec that I had gotten brand new for $20. What I currently have in there are some hermit crabs and as far as coral, I’ve got a GSP frag in there. The GSP has been doing fine, but my only concern is with the light as the spec v’s light is 7000k and the Evo V’s light is an 11000k. I want to make sure the GSP and any future corals will get enough out of the lights.

i was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could get an Evo light to replace the current spec one that I have. I saw a listing on amazon, but sadly it’s unavailable.

Clown79

You would have to find someone who has upgraded their evo light to sell you their evo light.

As far as I know, fluval doesn't sell the light separately.

The evo light is pretty basic, most end up upgrading it.

Mitch's Fishes

I have a Fluval Evo V and have upgraded the light to a Kessil A80. So, I'd be willing to sell you stock Evo light, but honestly, I'd just spend a little extra and get an A80. The stock Fluval Evo light is pretty weak, not controllable, and just doesn't look that great to the eye. I did have to build a custom mount to attach the Kessil gooseneck to, since it won't fit on the rim of the back chamber. But I think the A80 is a perfect light for this tank and I think something like an AI Prime would be overkill, unless you were trying to run an SPS tank. 

• Like 1

Aigis
49 minutes ago, Mitch's Fishes said:

I have a Fluval Evo V and have upgraded the light to a Kessil A80. So, I'd be willing to sell you stock Evo light, but honestly, I'd just spend a little extra and get an A80. The stock Fluval Evo light is pretty weak, not controllable, and just doesn't look that great to the eye. I did have to build a custom mount to attach the Kessil gooseneck to, since it won't fit on the rim of the back chamber. But I think the A80 is a perfect light for this tank and I think something like an AI Prime would be overkill, unless you were trying to run an SPS tank. 

I’m not the most handy person, so I probably couldn’t make a custom mount for the life of me. How much were you planning to sell your evo light for? If anything, it’s definitely an upgrade from what I’ve got now 

Poison Dart Frog

I have that tank with the Fluval Sea Nano light. I think it was $80. It's decent and fully programmable with a phone app. Another one that people use is the Current USA 18" light and it's about $70 and is programmable with an included remote. Both are better than what the Spec V came with. 

Mitch's Fishes
17 hours ago, Aigis said:

I’m not the most handy person, so I probably couldn’t make a custom mount for the life of me. How much were you planning to sell your evo light for? If anything, it’s definitely an upgrade from what I’ve got now 

Not sure if selling is allowed on this forum, or if that is strictly reserved for the Marketplace forum.  So, I'll shoot you a PM.

Clown79

You can easily use an ai on the tank.

I used a shelf bracket to hang mine off over my spec v.

Alot of people use an ai, kessil, or nanobox on the evo's and specs.

• Like 1