Cultivated Reef

Is this ok?

JennJane

New to the community and I am about 3 1/2 weeks in the cycle process. Noticed this algae on my live rocks and just wanted to double check to see if this growth is part of the process or do I have a problem? Also, saw a big fat worm and after researching I think is a bristle worm. I know the photo is terrible but its the best one I got before he slid under the sand. I have a tiny 6 gallon nano-tank. Think I should keep this monster or try to trap him? 

Algae.jpg

Worm.PNG

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, JennJane said:

New to the community and I am about 3 1/2 weeks in the cycle process. Noticed this algae on my live rocks and just wanted to double check to see if this growth is part of the process or do I have a problem? Also, saw a big fat worm and after researching I think is a bristle worm. I know the photo is terrible but its the best one I got before he slid under the sand. I have a tiny 6 gallon nano-tank. Think I should keep this monster or try to trap him? 

Algae.jpg

Worm.PNG

:welcome:

looks normal to me......and I would keep the worm, they are good guys. Do you have any clean up crew yet?

21 minutes ago, JennJane said:

Welcome to NR!  I wouldn't be too concerned of the algae growing on it, it provides free food for your CUC.  I'd get a few large Mexican Turbo Snails and they'll help you control any short Green Hair Algae that you may have as well as other nuisance algae.

As far as the big fat worm, I would try to identify it if I were you.  As long as its not a Fireworm and you like the look of bristleworms, keep it.  Personally, I do not care for them in the event that the pest overpopulates or grows too large, I don't want to waste my time trying to trap them later to get rid of them.

34 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

:welcome:

looks normal to me......and I would keep the worm, they are good guys. Do you have any clean up crew yet?

Clean up crew is coming to live with us this weekend 🙂

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

Welcome to NR!  I wouldn't be too concerned of the algae growing on it, it provides free food for your CUC.  I'd get a few large Mexican Turbo Snails and they'll help you control any short Green Hair Algae that you may have as well as other nuisance algae.

As far as the big fat worm, I would try to identify it if I were you.  As long as its not a Fireworm and you like the look of bristleworms, keep it.  Personally, I do not care for them in the event that the pest overpopulates or grows too large, I don't want to waste my time trying to trap them later to get rid of them.

Thanks for the response Seadragon! I think from the looks of the articles I have seen it is a bristleworm not a fireworm. That dude is LARGE so I am thinking he might need to go. Any thoughts on the purple algea growing by the green? Coralline? 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, JennJane said:

Thanks for the response Seadragon! I think from the looks of the articles I have seen it is a bristleworm not a fireworm. That dude is LARGE so I am thinking he might need to go. Any thoughts on the purple algea growing by the green? Coralline? 

I LOVE Purple Coralline algae.  It's like the holy grail for some reefers.  Its known to help prevent nuisance algae from growing on top of it and it's so beautiful compared to white rock or green algae.  Definitely a keeper and a blessing in my opinion. 😄

Here's a picture of some of my purple & maroon coralline algae growing on the rocks if you wanted to compare it to yours just to make sure they look about the same:

Blenny_2020-01-27.thumb.jpg.d3255909c230

14 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

I LOVE Purple Coralline algae.  It's like the holy grail for some reefers.  Its known to help prevent nuisance algae from growing on top of it and it's so beautiful compared to white rock or green algae.  Definitely a keeper and a blessing in my opinion. 😄

Here's a picture of some of my purple & maroon coralline algae growing on the rocks if you wanted to compare it to yours just to make sure they look about the same:

Blenny_2020-01-27.thumb.jpg.d3255909c230

Looks similar, mine is more of a wine color than the bright purples you have. BEAUTIFUL photo! I can't wait to get little friends to watch move around in there. Patient is not high on the list of words anyone would use to describe me so cycling has been a real struggle 🙂 

• Thanks 1