Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Waterbox Cube 20 setup

Pumpernickel

Hi guys 🙂 I am about to get my first saltwater aquarium. I have some experience with freshwater and nano freshwater. Because it is my first saltwater I wanted to ask you about my planned setup and if you have any better ideas or additions.

Tank

Waterbox Cube 20

Equipment

AI Prime HD

Sicce 1.0 return pump

Hydor Koralia Nano

100w heater

inTank Media Basket (Carbon, bio balls, filter floss)

I don't really know if I need a Skimmer. Some say yes and some no.

Planned stocking

Carib Sea Arag-Alife Bahamas Oolite

Mixed reef

Pair of Clowns

Lysmata amboinensis

Maybe some snails for cleaning

Euphyllia glabrescens green tip

blastomussa wellsi

sarcophyton

Thanks in advance for helping me 🙂

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Pumpernickel said:

Hydor Koralia Nano

If you'd like some gentle swaying or any wave motion at all, I'd skip this and get a cheap jebao wavemaker (SOW seems to be their latest series).  

Other than that, the basic list of equipment looks good.  you don't need a skimmer right the way, you may not even need it ever, it depends on your general husbandry and maintenance style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Pumpernickel said:

Hi guys 🙂 I am about to get my first saltwater aquarium. I have some experience with freshwater and nano freshwater. Because it is my first saltwater I wanted to ask you about my planned setup and if you have any better ideas or additions.

Tank

Waterbox Cube 20

Equipment

AI Prime HD

Sicce 1.0 return pump

Hydor Koralia Nano

100w heater

inTank Media Basket (Carbon, bio balls, filter floss)

I don't really know if I need a Skimmer. Some say yes and some no.

Planned stocking

Carib Sea Arag-Alife Bahamas Oolite

Mixed reef

Pair of Clowns

Lysmata amboinensis

Maybe some snails for cleaning

Euphyllia glabrescens green tip

blastomussa wellsi

sarcophyton

Thanks in advance for helping me 🙂

I'd recommend the aqamai kps powerhead. Silent, tiny, fully directional, customizable water movement. Excellent customer service.

There are cheaper options but you get what you pay for. 

I tried jebao and other cheaper options. Items needed replacement after 3 mnths.

Why do you want to use bioballs? 

• Like 1

I am just a month ahead of you with my Waterbox 20.

Just know that the InTank for the 2nd compartment might need to be cut down. Mine looked like it would fit after measuring it, but I had to cut it down and glue it back together. Just something to consider.

I am not using a skimmer on my setup. Personal choice.

Good luck with your tank build! Keep us posted as it comes together.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BryanRitchie said:

I am just a month ahead of you with my Waterbox 20.

Just know that the InTank for the 2nd compartment might need to be cut down. Mine looked like it would fit after measuring it, but I had to cut it down and glue it back together. Just something to consider.

I am not using a skimmer on my setup. Personal choice.

Good luck with your tank build! Keep us posted as it comes together.

May I ask what you put in the first and second chamber? I was considering the inTank media basket for the first and put there filter sponges, carbon and maybe something more. For the second chamber I am not quite sure except for the heater. 

4 minutes ago, Pumpernickel said:

May I ask what you put in the first and second chamber? I was considering the inTank media basket for the first and put there filter sponges, carbon and maybe something more. For the second chamber I am not quite sure except for the heater. 

You really don't want to use sponges in SW. They are nutrient traps.

Most use filter floss and replace twice a week. It's best to buy it in bulk.

A good carbon is recommended. Other than that, only use other media if its needed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

You really don't want to use sponges in SW. They are nutrient traps.

Most use filter floss and replace twice a week. It's best to buy it in bulk.

A good carbon is recommended. Other than that, only use other media if its needed.

Thanks for the info. What filtration setup do you recommend? For me it is the hardest part because I read different informations everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Pumpernickel said:

Thanks for the info. What filtration setup do you recommend? For me it is the hardest part because I read different informations everywhere.

My tanks I use media baskets with floss, carbon. And a very small amount of purigen which I am slowly removing.

I have dragons breath in the display.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I'd recommend the aqamai kps powerhead. Silent, tiny, fully directional, customizable water movement. Excellent customer service.

There are cheaper options but you get what you pay for. 

I tried jebao and other cheaper options. Items needed replacement after 3 mnths.

Why do you want to use bioballs? 

Excellent customer service? I reached out to them about a replacement part because I broke the plastic netting that covers the pump but no response. Who/where did you reach out to? I contacted through their website. @Clown79

I would do it right the first time and just go MP10 if money is not an issue.

Think it’s luck of the draw with Jebao... mine has lasted 3 years already no problem! MP10 had a bad wet side which needed replacing after 6 months.... aaarrgh! Agree that sponge and bio balls are a really nutrient trap... could you just filter floss and create a small Fuge for nutrient export? Cheato is great stuff and I have done very little except a bit of carbon now and then since using a small Fuge.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, RedTheReefer said:

Excellent customer service? I reached out to them about a replacement part because I broke the plastic netting that covers the pump but no response. Who/where did you reach out to? I contacted through their website. @Clown79

I would do it right the first time and just go MP10 if money is not an issue.

I contacted them and got a response in 24hrs, same with hydor.

I've never had issues getting replacement parts. Been using hydor since their first release.

My first kps had issues, sent it back to them and they sent a new one within a week 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Pumpernickel said:

I am not using any media in the first and third compartments to be honest. In the second chamber, I have a chaeto with a fuge light on it. Not the most conventional approach, but I am giving it a go.

• 7 months later...

Struggling with this same thing as far as final set-up of filtration of Waterbox Cube 20. Right now the tank is just cycling (Seachem seed and ammonia dosing), only have the following for now:

1st Chamber: filter sock

2nd Chamber: Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater (nice flat design), CerMedia MarinePure 1.5-Inch Sphere Bio-Filter Media

3rd Chamber: Return pump

Once the tank is cycled, I was thinking of the following:

1st Chamber: inTank chamber 1 media basket  - (filter floss on top, carbon in middle, filter floss bottom)

2nd Chamber: inTank chamber 2 media basket (may have to trim and seat in righter most section.) -   Reef Glass Nano Skimmer & in the media basket (CerMedia MarinePure 1.5-Inch Sphere Bio-Filter Media in first 2 sections & filter floss in bottom section)

3rd Chamber: Return pump

No clue if this will all fit?