inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Evo 5 Gallon Marine Kit Build

jxpars004

Greetings all! 

New to the forum and getting back into the saltwater world after a 4-5 year hiatus. My last tank was a 40 gallon acrylic with a 20 gallon sump. Due to a work schedule, that tank was eventually broken down and is awaiting it's resurrection. After moving, i've decided the time is right to ease back into the hobby although i realize a small tank like a 5 g is no "easy" task, its also not a major financial investment at the moment. I've taken full advantage of my amazon prime trial and purchased a Fluval Evo 5 gallon marine aquarium kit, some natures ocean bio (that i may or may not use).

Here's the catch. While it is January, i live a mile away from the Atlantic ocean here on Cape Cod.  I have been reading into and thinking about filling my 5 gallon with ocean water from the nearby clear beach as well as possibly using some of the substrate. Any thoughts on this? Super excited and my whole kit should arrive in the next two days, will post pics and updates every step! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi just found your thread. I lived in MA for fifty five years. The last 10 were spent across the street from the beach in Salisbury. Of course I love Cape Cod. I have a few relatives that live there. Is your tank up and running?

Using ocean water is probably better for LPS, no? I'm not sure how it goes for SPS corals. There's a guy on Reef2Reef who lives in Jamaica and uses ocean water and does great with it. If you want some ideas for 5g Fluval build, please feel free to check out mine!