Pod Your Reef

How I Estimate the amount of Salt needed.

DSA65PRO

The Plastic Yardstick has the Gallon markings on it, so when I add RO/DI Water, to my Saltwater mix Barrel, I know about how much Salt to add. Now if I could just figure out the amount for 1.0255 or 34ppt rather than their 1.021sg. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

I thought about doing something similar to my brute container. Mine is only 20gal though so I visually fill it up to around the same spot. Then I just follow the packaging for about 15gals.. Usually I get it to 1.020 and add little by little to get to 1.025. But I have a milwaukee refractometer which makes life easy.  

Cool measuring stick idea!! The three salts I’ve tried (Reef Crystals, Red Sea Coral Pro, Tropic Marin Reef Pro) have all been approximately 1/2 cup per gallon of water to get 1.024 - 1.026, but it can vary per brand. 

• Like 1

I just eyeball it and im usually always right even when i need a lower mix.  Its not that hard.  However ny measuring cup i use its exactly 1.026 when i scoop 1 full scoop for 5 gallons

I always like to have a 30 Gallon reserve on hand. To do my weekly water changes it usually takes 10 to 14 gallons, for all my aquariums. Then I top off the barrel and add more salt. BTW I don’t normally use this Brute, I have a thirty gallon Brute, but it’s due for a cleaning. Don’t spend extra money for a White Brute, they aren’t as strong and they let light through, and you can have undesirable algae growths. The Brute Dollys are well worth the extra money. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, banasophia said:

Cool measuring stick idea!! The three salts I’ve tried (Reef Crystals, Red Sea Coral Pro, Tropic Marin Reef Pro) have all been approximately 1/2 cup per gallon of water to get 1.024 - 1.026, but it can vary per brand. 

What she said 👆

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, DSA65PRO said:

I always like to have a 30 Gallon reserve on hand. To do my weekly water changes it usually takes 10 to 14 gallons, for all my aquariums. Then I top off the barrel and add more salt. BTW I don’t normally use this Brute, I have a thirty gallon Brute, but it’s due for a cleaning. Don’t spend extra money for a White Brute, they aren’t as strong and they let light through, and you can have undesirable algae growths. The Brute Dollys are well worth the extra money. 

Yeah I didn’t like the white brutes either cuz it was hard to tell if the salt was done mixing.

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Dude that's awesome. I done mine the hard way by getting a gallon jug and measuring my actual gallons per minute flow rate. It took some tries, but I'm kinda glad I run a stopwatch to actually know my volumes haha.

I do the 1 gallon milk jug thing to test the gph on pumps.  I ise seachems denitrate rocks to keep my nitrates down to around 10-20ppm because without it nitrates creep too high overtime in my 135.  And i need to keep the flow around 25-30gph so a milk jug and stop watch with some math helps alot in calculating gph