SaltCritters.com

HELP! Please! Zoanthid critters

Domenic

I recently got a zoanthid frag pack from WWC, I’m new to the hobby and only have one nano reef so I did not have anything to really quarantine my frags in so I just gently shook the frags in my own saltwater after acclimating them and took the chance and put them straight into the tank. I know it was a mistake I was just so eager, anyway it’s day two of having them in my reef tank and I spotted a few centipede looking bugs around my zoa’s. Does anyone have any idea what this thing is ? Is it bad? Harmless? All the zoanthids are open and looking happy right now except the one that I spotted the critters on, the skirt isn’t completely open but it’s also not closed. Any info would really be appreciated as I’m literally brand new to the hobby I want to learn everything I can possible. Thanks everyone 

95953047-98EB-4F26-8A02-E23848A533AC.png

3 hours ago, Domenic said:

I recently got a zoanthid frag pack from WWC, I’m new to the hobby and only have one nano reef so I did not have anything to really quarantine my frags in so I just gently shook the frags in my own saltwater after acclimating them and took the chance and put them straight into the tank. I know it was a mistake I was just so eager, anyway it’s day two of having them in my reef tank and I spotted a few centipede looking bugs around my zoa’s. Does anyone have any idea what this thing is ? Is it bad? Harmless? All the zoanthids are open and looking happy right now except the one that I spotted the critters on, the skirt isn’t completely open but it’s also not closed. Any info would really be appreciated as I’m literally brand new to the hobby I want to learn everything I can possible. Thanks everyone 

Huh still nothing 🥴

3 hours ago, Domenic said:

Looks like an amphipod. No biggie. 😊

Looks like an amphipod or munnid isopod. Amphipods are harmless scavengers in most cases, although a massive surplus of amphipods in a tank with no fish can lead to them nibbling corals when they get hungry. Munnid isopods are harmless algae-eaters.

You should REALLY dip zoanthids before adding them, though. They have, off the top of my head, three or four zoa-specific things that will really ruin your day if they get into your tank. Look up zoanthid dips, buy a good product, and use it. No quarantine involved (though that's good too), just inspect it closely while the coral is closed, dip, and add.