SaltCritters.com

Tailspot turning colors

FollyFish

I added a new fish and shrimp to my 50G, a Rainford Goby hereby named Bran after a werewolf in a fav book. I added him and the shrimp to the side of the tank that no one else goes to. Everyone else ( black ice clown, neon goby, watchman goby, randels pistol, possum wrasse, tailpost and 2 emerald crabs) all huant the other end where I have the tepee shaped rocks from the old tank set up.

So Bran the newish and half the size of my next smallest fish (neon, but all of them are full adult size) decided that he would join everyone else at the tepee rock. Good news the only fish who cared was the tailspot who turned blue in the face, then dark purple long his top and grey on his belly, then he got his sleep strips. As he followed Bran around the rock. I watched until the lights went out. Other then the watching and following i didnt see other agression, no biting or fast chasing, no getting too close.

So I think Bran the Jester should be ok. He held his own and was picking at the sand when i last saw him before the lights went out.

The cleaner shrimp who I named Wulf after a vampire in a book I like, disapeared into a cavern and didnt come out at all. So im not too sure about him.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, FollyFish said:

I added a new fish and shrimp to my 50G, a Rainford Goby hereby named Bran after a werewolf in a fav book. I added him and the shrimp to the side of the tank that no one else goes to. Everyone else ( black ice clown, neon goby, watchman goby, randels pistol, possum wrasse, tailpost and 2 emerald crabs) all huant the other end where I have the tepee shaped rocks from the old tank set up.

So Bran the newish and half the size of my next smallest fish (neon, but all of them are full adult size) decided that he would join everyone else at the tepee rock. Good news the only fish who cared was the tailspot who turned blue in the face, then dark purple long his top and grey on his belly, then he got his sleep strips. As he followed Bran around the rock. I watched until the lights went out. Other then the watching and following i didnt see other agression, no biting or fast chasing, no getting too close.

So I think Bran the Jester should be ok. He held his own and was picking at the sand when i last saw him before the lights went out.

The cleaner shrimp who I named Wulf after a vampire in a book I like, disapeared into a cavern and didnt come out at all. So im not too sure about him.

Blennies sometimes change colors. (Develop facial markings/whitish patches on the body etc.). I call it camo-mode. Both my Starry Blenny and TSB do this, although they always return back to their original colors after a while. It's nothing to worry about. 🙂 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Blennies sometimes change colors. (Develop facial markings/whitish patches on the body etc.). I call it camo-mode. Both my Starry Blenny and TSB do this, although they always return back to their original colors after a while. It's nothing to worry about. 🙂 

This ^ 

All blennies do it. My midas turns purplish.

Bicolor gets all sorts of markings.

It's pretty cool

• Like 2

The other thing with Tailspot blennies is their diet. They change colour when they don't get their sponges. Yes, they eat sponges, mainly algae, but they have a serious affinity for pineapple sponges.

I didn't know that they would eat sponges. I know that my guy get stripes when its time to go to bed, but this was the first time I've ever seen him go blue in the face or seen his belly go completely grey. The good new is that my tailspot has stop following/stalking the new goby and since I've been home all day and watching I still have seen any other signs of aggression or that the other fish even know/care that there is a new guy in town.

1 hour ago, FollyFish said:

I didn't know that they would eat sponges. I know that my guy get stripes when its time to go to bed, but this was the first time I've ever seen him go blue in the face or seen his belly go completely grey. The good new is that my tailspot has stop following/stalking the new goby and since I've been home all day and watching I still have seen any other signs of aggression or that the other fish even know/care that there is a new guy in town.

They do, but I don't think it's something they absolutely have to have them to survive. Lots of marine animals change colours when the sun goes down so they blend in better.

21 hours ago, FollyFish said:

tailspot who turned blue in the face, then dark purple long his top and grey on his belly, then he got his sleep strips.

Can you take a picture?  Or did he just look like this:

tailspot-blenny-image-3-compressor.jpg

Call him Twilight after the novel 📕 since you already have werewolves 🐺 and vampires 🧛‍♂️ in your tank. 😉

21 hours ago, FollyFish said:

... a Rainford Goby hereby named Bran after a werewolf in a fav book ... The cleaner shrimp who I named Wulf after a vampire in a book I like ...

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

Can you take a picture?  Or did he just look like this:

tailspot-blenny-image-3-compressor.jpg

Call him Twilight after the novel 📕 since you already have werewolves 🐺 and vampires 🧛‍♂️ in your tank. 😉

I didn't get a pic. But he look more like the first pic below and then the top half of his body turned dark purple while the bottom half went light grey it looked like a horizontal split on his body. It was really odd. Now he is back to his normal colors. Like this picture but more extreme color difference.

I think it might have been the Blenny version of a temper tantrum.

images.jpg.2d6ce42fa8b274036f106fc33c98a4c4.jpg

LWrWoSS.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

LOL. I name everyone in my tank after my fav monsters from the books I read. 

The TSBH is named Warren after a warewolf in the Mercy Thompson book series by Patricia Briggs. They both have the same take no s*** attitude but don't want to be boss. 

Edited by FollyFish
  • Like 1
41 minutes ago, FollyFish said:

LOL. I name everyone in my tank after my fav monsters from the books I read. 

The TSBH is named Warren after a warewolf in the Mercy Thompson book series by Patricia Briggs. They both have the same take no s*** attitude but don't want to be boss. 

That's awesome!  I have a giant Turbo Snail that I banished to the School Nano Reef that I nicknamed Godzilla (a monster from the Godzilla novel series written by author Marc Cerasini).  He liked to knock off my duncan frags from the rocks into the sand.

Not quite this big in real life, but in my imagination just the same:

image.jpg

• Haha 2

I'd not actually noticed the colour changes in mine until I stumbled across this thread. 

On 1/25/2020 at 9:57 PM, StinkyBunny said:

The other thing with Tailspot blennies is their diet. They change colour when they don't get their sponges. Yes, they eat sponges, mainly algae, but they have a serious affinity for pineapple sponges.

Mine loves these, I had to place mine in time out (territorial) in the rear compartment of my RSM130D. The back chambers is now completely devoid of Pineapple sponges and I have never seen the guy so fat.

• Like 1