Coral Vue Hydros

Green algae on glass and rocks

D4rkAngel

Hi,

I'm running a reef tank in a Innovative Marine 20 gallon since June 29 2019 and I'm starting to have green algae.
My nitrate and phosphate are both at 0.

I have the stock return pump, a MP10 and a IM Nuvoskim DC Protein Skimmer Desktop.
My filtration is, Chemi pure blue and purigen into 2 media basket on each side with some AquaForest life bio fil and 2 filter pad.

I have 2 AI Prime HD at 8 inch of the water level.
What can be the cause of that because this is the first time I'm having green algae like this.

Here some photos of the tank and my light schedule.

Thank you.

20200124_212555.jpg

20200124_212601.jpg

20200124_212608.jpg

20200124_212613.jpg

20200124_213438.jpg

Screenshot_20200124-220827_myAI.jpg

Screenshot_20200124-220833_myAI.jpg

Screenshot_20200124-220847_myAI.jpg

Screenshot_20200124-220915_myAI.jpg

I’m gonna sub to this because I’m having the same algae kinda randomly lately on my glass and I have the same light. It only grows where the light hits the glass directly. Not on my rocks tho unless I just can’t tell. I’ve been cleaning the glass daily

• Like 1

What do you have for cuc?

It looks like a green film algae bloom. It's a normal algae and healthy for your tank...just looks like you have a bit extra growing than normal or a lack of cuc 

• Like 2

For now, i only have 3 blue crab, i had 5 but 2 died... i need to go buy like 2 or 3 more and a cleaner shrimp.

I have my goby to clean my sand, this is why my sand look clean lol.

I didn't have any other CUC because i didn't any problems yet.

I don't think I'm over feeding, i feed my 2 clowns goby and six line wrasse once a day with brine shrimp and my corals every 3 or 4 days.

Do i have too much light to ?

What are you suggesting me to buy or should i just scrap it off everyday until it's completely gone.

• Like 1

Algae is normal and having some present in the tank is not a bad thing.

Getting some snails added to the cuc would be a good idea.

Getting your nitrates and phos up is another good, having 0 isn't optimal

• Like 2
2 hours ago, D4rkAngel said:

For now, i only have 3 blue crab, i had 5 but 2 died... i need to go buy like 2 or 3 more and a cleaner shrimp.

I have my goby to clean my sand, this is why my sand look clean lol.

I didn't have any other CUC because i didn't any problems yet.

I don't think I'm over feeding, i feed my 2 clowns goby and six line wrasse once a day with brine shrimp and my corals every 3 or 4 days.

Do i have too much light to ?

What are you suggesting me to buy or should i just scrap it off everyday until it's completely gone.

Cleaning the glass is normal but I would get some snails in there. They will eat it and keep it manageable for you.

• Like 3

I agree with adding snails and cleaning the glass, and that you don’t want nitrates and phosphates at 0... but because this is a sudden change in your tank, could it be that it’s past time to change out your chemipure and purigen and they are wearing out and leading to this change? I seem to recall that when I was new I totally forgot about changing mine out and something similar happened at around 6 months... I had also forgotten about cleaning out my pump and back chambers... Just a thought related to the length of time your tank has been running. 

• Like 3

How can to get nitrate and phos up,  by feeding more ?

For the snail like turbo or nerite ?
Because, I'm scrapping the glass and the day after the glass is already having that algae back.

5 hours ago, banasophia said:

I agree with adding snails and cleaning the glass, and that you don’t want nitrates and phosphates at 0... but because this is a sudden change in your tank, could it be that it’s past time to change out your chemipure and purigen and they are wearing out and leading to this change? I seem to recall that when I was new I totally forgot about changing mine out and something similar happened at around 6 months... I had also forgotten about cleaning out my pump and back chambers... Just a thought related to the length of time your tank has been running. 

Well they say you can change the chemipure evey 2 - 4 month, mine was change in december so i think im ok.

Purigen every month.

How often are you cleaning your back chambers and are you doing it at the same time when you do your water change in the tank or you just skip the tank and do only the sump back chambers ?
Are you just pumping all the water out of the chambers clean it and put new water.

Thank you.

Because, I'm scrapping the glass and the day after the glass is already having that algae back.

Well they say you can change the chemipure evey 2 - 4 month, mine was change in december so i think im ok.

Purigen every month.

How often are you cleaning your back chambers and are you doing it at the same time when you do your water change in the tank or you just skip the tank and do only the sump back chambers ?
Are you just pumping all the water out of the chambers clean it and put new water.

Thank you.

Then I think you’re good with your Chemipure and Purigen... I only do my Chemipure every 2-3 months and Purigen every 6 months. And I only do the back chambers/pump every 6-9 months or so, if flow is decreased or it looks like there’s a lot of algae back there... not regularly really. I think that the algae you’re getting is pretty normal, it’s surprising you never got it before. I clean my glass usually once per day, sometimes twice. 

When I do clean the back chamber I just turkey baster it then siphon the water out of there for my water change and refill with the new water change water... I’m not very good about doing this though because I get nervous moving my chiller pump and hoses around a lot, so maybe others can chime in with what they do. 

Turbo snails and ninja star snails are my favorites but I get the recommended cleanup crew from reef cleaners and then add the ninjas/turbos because he doesn’t carry them. 

Purigen every month.

Thank you.

Chemipure blue has a similar resin in it to purigen.

Purigen is to be changed once it goes brown, that's when its exhausted.

Chemipure claims every 2-4 months but most change it monthly. Its carbon with a resin in it.

As for chamber cleaning, every tanks needs are different.

I use a Turkey baster to remove detritus in the back chamber with every other waterchange. 

I clean my pumps every 4 or so months.

Nitrates and phos, using less media that reduces them, smaller waterchanges, or dosing products works.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Chemipure blue has a similar resin in it to purigen.

Purigen is to be changed once it goes brown, that's when its exhausted.

Chemipure claims every 2-4 months but most change it monthly. Its carbon with a resin in it.

As for chamber cleaning, every tanks needs are different.

I use a Turkey baster to remove detritus in the back chamber with every other waterchange. 

I clean my pumps every 4 or so months.

Nitrates and phos, using less media that reduces them, smaller waterchanges, or dosing products works.

Perfect! I was gonna tag you but didn’t want to put you on the spot! 🤗

3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Perfect! I was gonna tag you but didn’t want to put you on the spot! 🤗

You can always tag me, no one should ever worry about it😁

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

You can always tag me, no one should ever worry about it😁

Haha I know... I’m not sure why I was being so silly... I think cuz I thought you were the one that helped me with this in the beginning but I couldn’t remember for sure if it was you... anyway, glad you replied!! 🤗

21 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Haha I know... I’m not sure why I was being so silly... I think cuz I thought you were the one that helped me with this in the beginning but I couldn’t remember for sure if it was you... anyway, glad you replied!! 🤗

😁

• Like 1

Alright, I just added some blue legs hermit and 1 turbo snail.
Ill buy like 2 Trochus snails but my LFS didn't have any at the moment so ill keep that turbo snail for now.

I was thinking about a DIY chaeto reactor and adding copepods, could be a nice idea i think.

Is my lighting schedule ok ?
I have 2 bubble tip anemone, 1 bubble coral, 1 hammer, 1 zoanthid and 1 monti cap.
I plan adding more soon.

Thank you.

17 hours ago, D4rkAngel said:

Alright, I just added some blue legs hermit and 1 turbo snail.
Ill buy like 2 Trochus snails but my LFS didn't have any at the moment so ill keep that turbo snail for now.

I was thinking about a DIY chaeto reactor and adding copepods, could be a nice idea i think.

Is my lighting schedule ok ?
I have 2 bubble tip anemone, 1 bubble coral, 1 hammer, 1 zoanthid and 1 monti cap.
I plan adding more soon.

Thank you.

10-8 with peak hours from 1-4 isn't too bad. seems like a slightly adjusted AB+ setting? i dont think you have too much light.

51 minutes ago, smirkis said:

10-8 with peak hours from 1-4 isn't too bad. seems like a slightly adjusted AB+ setting? i dont think you have too much light.

Yes, this is an adjusted AB+, the UV and V was at max so i took it down to a 100, i was thinking it was too high with what i have right now.