Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New to the community

John Reef

I am new to the hobby too and didn't know you could have a bare bottom tank.  I am guessing yellow watchmen gobies and sand sifting snails are out.  Do you find it deters anything or is it a win win situation.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Ya my tank is stable. Everything else is growing.

I've fragged my birdsnest so many times I can't remember. 

My nitrates usually are 2-5 and phos around 0.1, I run it high

Okay nice! Have you tried getting your nitrates up to 5-10? I know for fact, duncans love dirty water. 

1 hour ago, karen nation said:

Hi and welcome!  I love your tank.  We have a lot in common.  I am now cycling my 10 gallon and I have read its going to be very difficult, with such small amount of water and skimmer.  Just cycling has been a challenge..haha.  What brand of light do you have?  I love it and how it is attached..most people hang them with wires, I dont like that look...love the brackets!  My counter is below so to tall for now, but maybe when I upgrade soon.

Hey ! Thank you! 😄 You got it! All it takes is dedication and patience. Consistency and stable parameters. And keeping your hands out of the tank for most of the time. I was using SB REEF lights 180$ . They were affordable and nice! They also came with brackets for the tank and hanging kit. Pretty much, they were a led fixture that was modified. But, i currently have Ecotech Radions XR15w Gen 4 at the moment. But kinda expensive light for 400$. But worth it! Happy reefing!  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Crys said:

I am new to the hobby too and didn't know you could have a bare bottom tank.  I am guessing yellow watchmen gobies and sand sifting snails are out.  Do you find it deters anything or is it a win win situation.

It’s possible! But do it slowly! And test once a week. I don’t regret going back to sand ever! Lol A matter fact, i got a 40g going to be a BB. 😄

At the end of the day , is whatever makes you happy. 

17 minutes ago, Crys said:

Welcome to the community! 😊

29 minutes ago, John Reef said:

Hey ! Thank you! 😄 You got it! All it takes is dedication and patience. Consistency and stable parameters. And keeping your hands out of the tank for most of the time. I was using SB REEF lights 180$ . They were affordable and nice! They also came with brackets for the tank and hanging kit. Pretty much, they were a led fixture that was modified. But, i currently have Ecotech Radions XR15w Gen 4 at the moment. But kinda expensive light for 400$. But worth it! Happy reefing!  

WOW!  Expensive as hell.  That would leave me nomoney for fish and corals.  haha I have a current orbit ic loop.  I was like 160.00 got an open box for 42.00!  Supposed to be real good.  Dont like the looks of it, not as cool looking as your for sure but It has a braket I can order so probably will do that and Ialsos ordered a hipagaro 62.00 on amazon.  I could decide so I ordered both and will send one back..lol.  The hipagaro I can use when I upgrade though If I add another one..the orbit I cant..that sucks because it programable, lots of effects too.  Like sunrise and sunset and all.  plus can run my wavemaker off it.   Hipagaro isnt, very basic.  I just got the current today and havnt tried it yet.  Nothing to see anyway but rock...haha.  I just cant wait for this cycle to end!   

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, karen nation said:

WOW!  Expensive as hell.  That would leave me nomoney for fish and corals.  haha I have a current orbit ic loop.  I was like 160.00 got an open box for 42.00!  Supposed to be real good.  Dont like the looks of it, not as cool looking as your for sure but It has a braket I can order so probably will do that and Ialsos ordered a hipagaro 62.00 on amazon.  I could decide so I ordered both and will send one back..lol.  The hipagaro I can use when I upgrade though If I add another one..the orbit I cant..that sucks because it programable, lots of effects too.  Like sunrise and sunset and all.  plus can run my wavemaker off it.   Hipagaro isnt, very basic.  I just got the current today and havnt tried it yet.  Nothing to see anyway but rock...haha.  I just cant wait for this cycle to end!   

Oh i forgot! You can find alot of deals on Facebook Marketplace from reefers leaving the hobby. Or Craigslist. Yeah there all great lights though! I have tried the Hipagaro lights from Amazon! They do work! But not powerful enough to grow sps corals imo. Try Ebay too! 😄

On 1/23/2020 at 7:50 PM, John Reef said:

Hey everyone, 

New to the group! Been in the reefing hobby for about 2 years now. It’s fun and with ups and downs. 😆 Looking forward on learning more from everyone. 

I currently have a 10 gallon mixed reef. 

Aquaclear 50 Powerfilter/chemipure nano

Ehiem 100w heater

Sb Reef LED For 1 year/ Now Radion xr15w gen4

DIY ato

Jebao Sw-2 powerhead

And currently dosing small amounts of kalkwasser. 
With weekly 2 gallon waterchange. 

PARAMETERS- 

Ph:8.2-8.3

ALK: 8.2

Calcium: 420-440

Magnesium: 1470

Nitrate: 5-10 

Phosphate: .1

Here is some pictures from Before i started. And now. 4B18C5C6-47AC-4378-9B46-FBF44BD4115D.thumb.jpeg.e2ab7a951fed810057c128d27c343b1f.jpeg

9C94DA55-FA01-49A2-99E4-0FE4F8E37137.jpeg

1AF3E6F3-1D50-4D8E-9A6A-0689BA01B896.jpeg

6CEB6C40-1369-4B3B-8572-FEEE6DEC64F2.jpeg

9CC63A83-4B83-4CF5-A349-947FE3A5F81B.jpeg

Beautiful little nano 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...