SaltCritters.com

Tank Transfer Advice

JohnCena

44 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The cups of sand shouldn't be cleaned before adding it, the purpose is to take some of the life in the sand to seed the new sand

Thanks for clarifying this. What I meant to clean is, just put that sand into new salt water and transfer the sand into the new tank. This way I can get rid of the food and other detritus trapped in the sand.

If I don't clean it, the ammonia spike and other stuff from this sand shouldn't be a problem?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JohnCena said:

Thanks for clarifying this. What I meant to clean is, just put that sand into new salt water and transfer the sand into the new tank. This way I can get rid of the food and other detritus trapped in the sand.

If I don't clean it, the ammonia spike and other stuff from this sand shouldn't be a problem?

No, no problem with adding a cup or 2.

What I do is take out a few cups before I do anything else and keep it in a bit of water.

Then I remove the water I want to save into buckets and containers.

I put my fish in 1 container with airhose and lid, i do the same for corals.

Then I remove the rocks and place them in a bucket with saved water and pump.

Then I remove all the remaining water and sand.

I then set up the new tank, add rocks, sand, then saved water and new water. 

Let it run for a bit so temp gets back to normal, test salinity and alk.

Then corals are added then fish/snails/hermits.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I then set up the new tank, add rocks, sand, then saved water and new water. 

Let it run for a bit so temp gets back to normal, test salinity and alk.

Then corals are added then fish/snails/hermits.

I wish I had the luxury of moving my rock separate from my coral! If anything is attached, there is no reason to break it off. As long as you are careful you aren't going to kill anything.

You can add your sand first, then rock/coral, then fill it up with water (this is where the being careful part comes in). You have to make sure that water is the right temperature, salinity, and alkalinity. As long as it's correct, you aren't going to lose anything. I've moved 6 times in the last 9 years, the last 3 of which were with two tanks and cross-country multi-day moves twice. If I didn't lose anything from those moves, you aren't going to lose anything from a move that takes a few hours at best!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jservedio said:

I wish I had the luxury of moving my rock separate from my coral! If anything is attached, there is no reason to break it off. As long as you are careful you aren't going to kill anything.

You can add your sand first, then rock/coral, then fill it up with water (this is where the being careful part comes in). You have to make sure that water is the right temperature, salinity, and alkalinity. As long as it's correct, you aren't going to lose anything. I've moved 6 times in the last 9 years, the last 3 of which were with two tanks and cross-country multi-day moves twice. If I didn't lose anything from those moves, you aren't going to lose anything from a move that takes a few hours at best!

If corals have encrusted I don't remove it but all else I have removed if possible.

It prevented damage and also with a new tank and aquascape, coral placement has been completely different for me. 

I haven't lost anything besides an rfa or 2 but that's because they decided to go to areas with no light and apparently not smart enough to move back into the light. Lol 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hello Guys, update on my transfer. Everything has been transferred with just one coral loss (Pink Gonipora). As requested, I tested my disturbed tank parameters, Ammonia was bad, around 8 and nirates where around 20ppm. I had very less sand in the tank with lot of spaghetti worms so i didnt see lot of bad stuff. The bottom water was clear, so i disturbed the sand alot to make it cloudy and then tested the parameters.  Here are the pictures from the new tank. 

Thanks everyone who suggested me on this transfer.

Newtank1.jpeg

newtank2.jpeg

Newtank3.jpeg

Newtank4.jpeg

Newtank5.jpeg

Newtank6.jpeg

• Like 3
On 1/24/2020 at 11:13 AM, Ratvan said:

like H2S gas 😄 

On 1/24/2020 at 11:16 AM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

yup #truth

It's not a foregone conclusion though.  ><truth.

Most folks set up their tanks with lots of fish that require lots of feeding. 

In a nutshell, this overwhelms most sand beds and necessitates all the grooming procedures folks use.

Those grooming procedures are what wrecks delicate sand bed fauna.

If a tank is stocked with an eye toward the whole ecosystem it's very possible to keep a healthy sand bed that doesn't need grooming and that doesn't foul up over time.

hello guys, i think my ai prime hd is not giving sufficient blue light spread and intensity. is there any light that you guys can suggest for this nuvo 40 tank?