Top Shelf Aquatics

Cycling a new tank

Hannahhhh

I am starting a second, smaller tank (13 gallons). I am going to use live sand and add live rock from my established tank. I also plan on using about 10 gallons of water from my established tank (from a water change) with 3 gallons of newly mixed salt water. I also plan on dosing with Fluval Biological Enhancer and adding some bio balls from my established tank. 
I am wondering if it is possible to skip or at least minimize a cycle considering the steps I am taking.  I will test the water to double check, but I’m curious if other people have managed to skip cycles. Thanks!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

I am starting a second, smaller tank (13 gallons). I am going to use live sand and add live rock from my established tank. I also plan on using about 10 gallons of water from my established tank (from a water change) with 3 gallons of newly mixed salt water. I also plan on dosing with Fluval Biological Enhancer and adding some bio balls from my established tank. 
I am wondering if it is possible to skip or at least minimize a cycle considering the steps I am taking.  I will test the water to double check, but I’m curious if other people have managed to skip cycles. Thanks!

Yep. Just keep an eye on your numbers just in case. 😊

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Most likely will have no cycle.

I've set up tanks with just established liverock and waterchange water- no cycle

I've done tan transfers with no cycle.

I just get a seachem ammonia badge for monitoring and makes things simple in the event I need to use Prime because Prime doesn't effect the Ammonia badge results but does with liquid regent tests

• Like 4