Innovative Marine Aquariums

Green Star Polyp Recovery

Chris O

Hi all,

I can't believe I managed to do this but I somehow seem to be killing Green Star Polyp. I have a 10g tank and I went away for a little over 2 weeks for Christmas. I knew this was going to be stressful on the tank so I did the best I could to prepare such as putting a glass tank top on it to slow evaporation and an automatic fish feeder. Despite the top, almost half the water had evaporate from the tank, but all fish and snails were fine. I added water over the course of a few days and did a 30% water change, I have also since added a torch coral and pistol shrimp. Everything seems to be doing well except the green star poly seems to be struggling to recover, if recovering at all. Any advice on speeding up the recovery? Attached are photos of the coral before I left and after I got back (clearly much smaller now). I also included a photo of water parameters. Salinity is around 1.023 and temperature is about 77.

Thanks,

Chris

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

ChristopherDido

As most will tell you, take your time. If the GSP is still showing signs of life it will probably bounce back.

Second thing I'll say invest in an ATO, bought both mine second hand, check nano-reef classifieds, Craigslist, local reef groups, LFS get used equipment too.

Get everything back stable and give it time. You can't force something injured to magically heal. If parts of the "mat" died as it grows now it will cover the old areas. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

It will take time to recover 

Do you have any nitrates/phosphate because corals need that. You don't want 0 nutrients.

Corals also prefer salinity at 1.025 or 1.026 so you may want to slowly get that up.

You can easily make ato with hamster bottles for when going away. I use a large one on my 25g which keeps my tank topped up for 2 days 

Thinking I might try the hamster bottle ato for going away, good tip. No nitrates but I don't know about phosphates, I hadn't tested for them before. I will order a test kit today and see because it appears GSP is making negative progress. The Polyps seem to be shrinking each day which doesn't appear to be a good sign...

• Sad 1