Coral Vue Hydros

Help with Zoas (with pictures)

Saltydude

Hi all, 

my tank is 3 months old (cycled) 15g lit with an aqua knight with jeboa slw 10 for movement,

its been about a week since i got some zoas, on the very first day they opened up great however after the stopped opening, they appear to have some sort of algae or fungus growing on/around them.  I use red sea coral pro salt and ro/di water and doing weekly 15% water changes. Other corals including torch, cabbage, ricordea mushroom looks happy.

Temp 78

salinity 1.025

sorry can't provide other tests at the moment.

20200121_195639.thumb.jpg.f4e74a58ba6dba28cb869e9c1c0db0b9.jpg20200121_195816.thumb.jpg.54bfd4b991da750a0adf23dcb50028df.jpg20200121_195704.thumb.jpg.d7cd921ebb0ae639392bdc7756de594e.jpg

Christopher Marks

Hey @Saltydude! It's common for zoanthids to take longer than a week to acclimate to a new tank and fully open, even after that first day open. I would give them more time, mine took a good 3-4 weeks to settle in all the way.

If there's algae only growing on the zoanthids, it likely came in on the frag itself. If you can still take the frag out of your tank, manual removal of algae can go a long ways towards preventing its spread. Just do the removal in a cup or bowl of tank water and give it a good rinse in a second cup of fresh saltwater before returning them to your tank. If the frags are glued down already, manually remove some algae during a larger water change while siphoning water out.

Are you feeding anything in your new tank yet, either fish or corals? Zoanthids seem to prefer some nitrates in the water, your new tank is still pretty 'clean' as a newly developing ecosystem. In time this will naturally improve.

Is it a brown/translucent covering? Mine develop this from time to time, I blast as much off as possible in a small tub outside the main tank with tank water. I'd then give them a coral dip that is iodine based, you might have to do this a few times

Thanks for the answera guys. I feed my two clownfiah every other day so tank should be on the dirty side as their is no filtration bsides liverock.

It is brown/transcluent covering, i will have a go at blasting it off. If that havnent worked in 2-3 weekz  ill look into iodine dipa. Thanks 

• Like 1