SaltCritters.com

Remove old coral skeletons before introducing new ones?

Revenant

Keep or leave coral skeletons  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do...

• chip them out, they are taking valuable real estate. no lps remnants, pure SPS only
    • leave them, gives the rock character, let the SPS grow around

Rebooting my 7yr old 12g from an algae ridden mess to a small SPS garden (hopefully). My apologies if this belongs in the aquascaping forums. I formerly had LPS and softies and when my tank mini crashed I lost them (all my fault). I still have the coral skeletons of my bubble coral and acans embedded in my live rock (please see pic). Want to attempt SPS after years of fowlers and lps. Space in this tank is at a premium for hard corals, especially as they grow. I only want a few SPS colonies and the old bubble exo is taking a great spot. 

Should I attempt to chip it out or go ahead and put a monti digi (or better suggestion) right in the middle of it and have it grow around the old skeleton...not sure how that would look...

DSC_0010b.jpg.0c8d5a682d1db3cdaa328bd0c2bd3395.jpg

Bubble skeleton surrounded by snails in this shot. Its grown into the rock, was only a single small head. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Leave it, good liverock IS dead coral skeletons 

Understood.

17 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Nice looking rock...I would leave it. SPS will encrust over it.

Thank you. Years ago, visited 8 different lfs' here in the S.Fla area searching til I found live rocks that 'understood my needs'.

SPS noob here sort of, any suggestions on what could go there to take advantage of that particular space and take advantage of the height of the rock.

17 hours ago, Clown79 said:

For me, I'd leave it and let other coral grow over it. It can give character to the tank

Noted. Suggestions on SPS?

2 hours ago, Ishtar said:

It looks cool now and will look cool encrusted down the road.

Love the Domino as well.

Thank you. I find Dominoes to be striking fish especially while young. They are just mean as heck, in addition to being very active. I know I can only keep one fish in this size tank with having a Domino, but its ok. Corals are always the star of the show IMO.

Appreciate the replies. 

Thought for sure I'd get a few SPS purist to tempt me to empty the tank of all lps remnants for a proper SPS garden.  😃

Ok then, looks like I'll leave it and find something nice to encrust there. Open to sps suggestions that have a 'clean look'....

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

Understood.

Thank you. Years ago, visited 8 different lfs' here in the S.Fla area searching til I found live rocks that 'understood my needs'.

SPS noob here sort of, any suggestions on what could go there to take advantage of that particular space and take advantage of the height of the rock.

Noted. Suggestions on SPS?

Thank you. I find Dominoes to be striking fish especially while young. They are just mean as heck, in addition to being very active. I know I can only keep one fish in this size tank with having a Domino, but its ok. Corals are always the star of the show IMO.

Appreciate the replies. 

Thought for sure I'd get a few SPS purist to tempt me to empty the tank of all lps remnants for a proper SPS garden.  😃

Ok then, looks like I'll leave it and find something nice to encrust there. Open to sps suggestions that have a 'clean look'....

Encrusting monti, stylophora, monti digitata, birdsnest are a few that come to mind

• Like 2