SaltCritters.com

HOB refugiums on rimless tanks

Daecrist

Hi all! Wanted to share some info I got today with the community.

So I have a 25g Marineland rimless in my home office. I also had an old small CPR AquaFuge 2 sitting in storage and figured I'd toss it on and maybe get some pods going.

Only once I got it on the back of the rimless tank something was nagging at the back of my mind. At 2.5 gallons that's about 25lbs of water weight sitting on the back of the tank with nothing to brace it.

I did some searching around the Internet and the consensus was no consensus at all. Some said it was fine, others said it was a risk.

So I called Marineland tech support. The nice lady on the line hadn't heard this one before and put me on hold for a little bit while she checked into it, and the answer is...

They don't test their tanks for that kind of stress, so they can't say for sure that it's a bad idea to have that much weight hanging on a rimless. The consensus in the office was that it was a bad idea, though, as they didn't take that kind of weight into account when designing the rimless tank.

Thought I'd share on the off chance someone else out there had this question, or maybe has a ticking time bomb hanging on the back of their rimless right now.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Daecrist said:

Hi all! Wanted to share some info I got today with the community.

So I have a 25g Marineland rimless in my home office. I also had an old small CPR AquaFuge 2 sitting in storage and figured I'd toss it on and maybe get some pods going.

Only once I got it on the back of the rimless tank something was nagging at the back of my mind. At 2.5 gallons that's about 25lbs of water weight sitting on the back of the tank with nothing to brace it.

I did some searching around the Internet and the consensus was no consensus at all. Some said it was fine, others said it was a risk.

So I called Marineland tech support. The nice lady on the line hadn't heard this one before and put me on hold for a little bit while she checked into it, and the answer is...

They don't test their tanks for that kind of stress, so they can't say for sure that it's a bad idea to have that much weight hanging on a rimless. The consensus in the office was that it was a bad idea, though, as they didn't take that kind of weight into account when designing the rimless tank.

Thought I'd share on the off chance someone else out there had this question, or maybe has a ticking time bomb hanging on the back of their rimless right now.

Mmm I don't know. The rimless tanks are usually built stronger in the sense of silicone seals since there is no brace. 

I feel like there are a TON of people with rimless tanks and  HOB filters on them. But I could be wrong. 

2.5gallons is roughly 20lbs and considering its sitting on the rim of the glass while also being supported by the foot applying even pressure throughout the glass panel you should be fine. 

I don't think it's a ticking time bomb if I'm not mistaken the marinelands are built pretty well and thick. 

I feel like it's no different than an HOB filter. But maybe someone has some anecdotes they'll share. 🤔

Seems like in HOB filters, there's almost no weight involved...a little carbon, some filter floss.

Seems like an "HOB refugium" may have significantly more weight due to things like rock or sand being used.

I guess that weight would make a difference in the amount of torque being applied to the glass?

On 1/18/2020 at 6:15 PM, Tired said:

Would you be able to put something like a mini aquarium stand under the fuge to support most of or all the weight? 

The guys at my LFS suggested that after saying they also wouldn't put that much weight on a rimless when I asked them about it.