Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pistol shrimp

a_pmech84

So I bought a pistol shrimp and a type of watchman goby. That was a month or so ago. Currently the shrimp is causing some issues. I have two rock flower nems that it tries to bury and as of yesterday it nabbed one of my original zoa frags and they were a favorite. The frag was glued down and I assume he took it under my scape because it has completely disappeared. So I think the best way I can remove this thing is to pull the scape out and then fish out the shrimp and put it all back. Any opinions or better ideas I'm open to. The scape isn't big it's in a 32 biocube and it's all glue to one big base rock. So plan is pull coral and then pull rock grab shrimp to go back to LFS and put the rest back. Again thoughts and opinions please this is the first time I've done this.

Try a bottle trap, with the entrance placed right outside its burrow. Be sure to put some ventilation holes in. You may also catch the goby. Be sure not to let them both stay in the bottle, if so- the pistol may try to shoot its way out, and I suspect that would be bad for a non-shelled animal in the same enclosed space as it.

If you like pistol shrimp, you could try a candycane pistol. They're much smaller, only an inch or so, and are as such unable to haul most frags or bury things quite as badly. Mine's not causing much trouble in a 4gal tank. 

Thanks I seen the bottle trap on YouTube. I considered it but I was kind of panicking at the time. Luckily my wife being the cooler head got me to slow down and not do anything drastic. So the bottle trap is likely going to be the first attempt. Thanks again for the insight