Coral Vue Hydros

Bangai Cardinal eating behaviors

brianinak

Hello All,

I have two Bangai Cardinals, I enjoy them very much.  I notice that when feeding frozen mysis or brine they eat up.  When feeding flakes, they mouth the food and spit out.  As a result I am feeling a lot of frozen food.  No issues yet, I thaw and rinse with RODI and feed.  Just wondering if other experience this also or if my Bangai are picky or spoiled eaters.  

Thanks in advance!

They are one of the pickiest eater I have ever had. They are really hard to train to eat pellet, flake. Only took fresh or frozen food.

I kept them in acclimation box and not feeding them anything for almost 3 most. They didn't die. And still, not accepting any pellet or frozen.

I ended up have to feed them frozen food. Until they died from ich.

If I will ever buy them again. I will make sure they already accept pellet prior to take them home. A real nightmare for a lazy person like me. (I dont like to feed frozen food)

GetPsyched2124

I feed frozen every day for mine. from what i've tried, it only eats San Francisco Bay Frozen Mysis.

I've tried Omega One pellets, flakes, frozen mysis, and frozen carnivore.

he spits out the flakes, doesn't even look at the pellets, and whatever Omega One enriches their frozen foods with he doesn't like and spits out too.

i thaw mine out in a little measuring cup and use a pipette to suck up the mysis, leaving most of the juice left in the cup. sometimes i dump the juice in the tank, sometimes i don't, depending on how much extra "nutrients" i feel my corals would benefit from.

• 3 months later...
Charith1986

I had a cardinal before. Its also not eating pallet food. So I gave it Frozen Mysis and he enjoyed it very much.

But this issue with mysis is it spoils the water fast and the tank ammonia level rises sharply.

So I exchanged him with a designer clown with my LFS.

1 hour ago, Charith1986 said:

I had a cardinal before. Its also not eating pallet food. So I gave it Frozen Mysis and he enjoyed it very much.

But this issue with mysis is it spoils the water fast and the tank ammonia level rises sharply.

So I exchanged him with a designer clown with my LFS.

In a fully established system that has cycled, ammonia should be capable of fully processing from feedings

• Like 1

Mysis shouldn't spoil the water. If anything, it would be better- no fillers/binders like in pellet food (though fillers aren't inherently harmful) means the fish can digest all of it. You'll just have problems if you pour the juice from the mysis into a tank with nothing to eat it. 

• Thanks 1