Jump to content
Nathans_Reef

Dwarf Zebra Lionfish with Clownfish

Recommended Posts

Nathans_Reef

Hi everybody,

I am Planning to stock my 25G tank with a Dwarf Zebra Lionfish and Maybe a Fu manchu Lionfish and i was wondering has anybody ever had any of these species with Clownfish? I have lots of rock in my tank with lots of hiding places that the lions probably couldn't get into. 🐠

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
2 hours ago, Nathans_Reef said:

Hi everybody,

I am Planning to stock my 25G tank with a Dwarf Zebra Lionfish and Maybe a Fu manchu Lionfish and i was wondering has anybody ever had any of these species with Clownfish? I have lots of rock in my tank with lots of hiding places that the lions probably couldn't get into. 🐠

Unfortunately lionfish are predators and can open their mouths very wide.

 

They will eat what can fit into their mouth so generally speaking, larger fish are often chosen for tank mates.

 

In a 25g I think 2 lionfish are pretty much max bioload if not too much considering they need certain foods(heavy waste producers)

Share this post


Link to post
Nathans_Reef

Ok thanks for replying.

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll

I concur....a clownfish (maybe even a full grown one) would eventually be food for your lionfish.   

 

Thankfully (for the clownfish) the tank is really too small for a lionfish, so I would not try.

 

As a rule of thumb, for best results keep fish in tanks larger than their minimum requirement.  (The larger the better in fact.)

 

(Another thing is that the bigger lionfish are the ones that are easier to keep.  The small ones are kinda expert level IMO.)

 

* Going by Scott W. Michael's "Marine Fishes" PocketExpert book.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Nathans_Reef
22 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I concur....a clownfish (maybe even a full grown one) would eventually be food for your lionfish.   

 

Thankfully (for the clownfish) the tank is really too small for a lionfish, so I would not try.

 

As a rule of thumb, for best results keep fish in tanks larger than their minimum requirement.  (The larger the better in fact.)

 

(Another thing is that the bigger lionfish are the ones that are easier to keep.  The small ones are kinda expert level IMO.)

 

* Going by Scott W. Michael's "Marine Fishes" PocketExpert book.

Do you think that a fu manchu lionfish could live with clownfish? 

Share this post


Link to post
Northwoodsreefer
3 minutes ago, Nathans_Reef said:

Do you think that a fu manchu lionfish could live with clownfish? 

Fu Manchus rarely survive transportation, much less long term in an aquarium. Very few cases of them lasting more than a few years

Share this post


Link to post
Nathans_Reef
1 minute ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

Fu Manchus rarely survive transportation, much less long term in an aquarium. Very few cases of them lasting more than a few years

Really? Thanks for telling me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Northwoodsreefer
Just now, Nathans_Reef said:

Really? Thanks for telling me

No problem, I've wanted one too but the low survival rate and cost threw me off

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll

Like I said before, tank is too small anyway PLUS the clown would end up as food sooner or later.   IMO, don't do it.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...