Cultivated Reef

Cobalt Neo Therm Running Low Temp?

PaigeTX

I’ve been using a new cobalt neo therm 75w heater for about 4 days. I have it set on 78 and it’s solid green on 78 but the tank is only just over 75. I’ve unplugged the heater to reset it... 

any ideas on why this may be happening or what I should try? This seems insane for a $65 heater 

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Your ambient room temp, the size of tank, even where the heater is placed will effect the temp.

Makes sense, I’ll check temp throughout the day and see what happens. Oddly though, I was previously using an eheim jager that I broke but it was keeping the temp at the 78 mark. The house is cooler in the evening so I’ll keep testing 

38 minutes ago, PaigeTX said:

I’ve been using a new cobalt neo therm 75w heater for about 4 days. I have it set on 78 and it’s solid green on 78 but the tank is only just over 75. I’ve unplugged the heater to reset it... 

any ideas on why this may be happening or what I should try? This seems insane for a $65 heater 

Is this for your 14 gallon tank or a different one?  Are you measuring the temperature from the opposite side of the tank?  When you first put in the heater, did you leave it in for a bit before turning it on?  If you set the temperature to 80, does the actual temperature of the water go up 2 degrees?

I know for mine (Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater, 50 Watt), I have it in a 10 gallon and it's set to 76 degrees, but the temperature in the tank ends up being 77.  If I set it to 78 degrees, the temperature would end up at 79 degrees (which I'd rather have 77 so that is why I set it lower).  There's other variables in play that may contribute to this... I just wish they allowed for setting it at 1 degree increments rather than 2 degree increments so that I could fine tune mine.  If you're still having major issues, you could contact their support and they would either replace it or you could try a different wattage if they recommended something different.

44 minutes ago, PaigeTX said:

Makes sense, I’ll check temp throughout the day and see what happens. Oddly though, I was previously using an eheim jager that I broke but it was keeping the temp at the 78 mark. The house is cooler in the evening so I’ll keep testing 

I have the 75w in my 25g. I also use the inkbird controller.

Temp sits between 77.9- 78.8.

It's in a high flow chamber because heaters need to be in high flow areas. 

Jaggers need calibrating from time to time to maintain proper temp, not sure if neotherms do.

Neo-Therm Heaters cannot be calibrated manually (outside of following the directions when you first install it, which is to place it in your tank and let it sit for a bit before plugging it in).  There is only one button and that is to set the temperature.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:06 AM, Seadragon said:

Is this for your 14 gallon tank or a different one?  Are you measuring the temperature from the opposite side of the tank?  When you first put in the heater, did you leave it in for a bit before turning it on?  If you set the temperature to 80, does the actual temperature of the water go up 2 degrees?

I know for mine (Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater, 50 Watt), I have it in a 10 gallon and it's set to 76 degrees, but the temperature in the tank ends up being 77.  If I set it to 78 degrees, the temperature would end up at 79 degrees (which I'd rather have 77 so that is why I set it lower).  There's other variables in play that may contribute to this... I just wish they allowed for setting it at 1 degree increments rather than 2 degree increments so that I could fine tune mine.  If you're still having major issues, you could contact their support and they would either replace it or you could try a different wattage if they recommended something different.

Yes it is the 14 gallon tank. I have it submerged in the middle back chamber so it’s getting good flow. The tank ranges from about 75-78 throughout the day. The house temp ranges from 68-72. It just seems strange to me that it’s not holding the tank temperature steady, I think I may reach out to them. 

I did see that you should submerge the heater for 15 mins before turning it on. I didn’t do that at first but yesterday morning I did turn it off and unplug for 30 mins while submerged but I’m still getting the temp range. 

16 minutes ago, PaigeTX said:

Yes it is the 14 gallon tank. I have it submerged in the middle back chamber so it’s getting good flow. The tank ranges from about 75-78 throughout the day. The house temp ranges from 68-72. It just seems strange to me that it’s not holding the tank temperature steady, I think I may reach out to them. 

I did see that you should submerge the heater for 15 mins before turning it on. I didn’t do that at first but yesterday morning I did turn it off and unplug for 30 mins while submerged but I’m still getting the temp range. 

Ah, I see.  Here's what was recommended on that other forum link if you accidentally turned it on right away: "Unplug your heater, carefully wipe it dry and let it get to room temperature. I would leave it out for maybe an hour just to make sure. Once it's at room temp put the heater back in the tank and DONT plug it in yet. Let it sit for about 20-30 mins and then plug it in.".

I would probably try that also just in case and then contact their Customer Support if that doesn't help any.  Who knows, maybe the device needs to sit without power for an hour to reset the calibration.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, PaigeTX said:

Is the heater in the chamber with the pump?

Maybe contact the company. Seems odd. 

4 hours ago, Seadragon said:

Ah, I see.  Here's what was recommended on that other forum link if you accidentally turned it on right away: "Unplug your heater, carefully wipe it dry and let it get to room temperature. I would leave it out for maybe an hour just to make sure. Once it's at room temp put the heater back in the tank and DONT plug it in yet. Let it sit for about 20-30 mins and then plug it in.".

I would probably try that also just in case and then contact their Customer Support if that doesn't help any.  Who knows, maybe the device needs to sit without power for an hour to reset the calibration.

I’m going to try this and see if it works!

4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Is the heater in the chamber with the pump?

Maybe contact the company. Seems odd. 

It’s in the chamber right next to the pump but the back chambers are very small, only the pump can fit its section it’s only abt 3in wide 

• Like 1