Pod Your Reef

Fluval Edge 6 Nem tank???

McCune

So I have my Cadlights 50 long running and starting to hit its stride.

For Christmas my wife gave me a Waterbox 20 cube which I will be setting up later this winter.

But......

I upgraded my sons fresh water tank to my old Fluval evo13.5 and now I have a Fluval edge 6 just sitting around. I am thinking that I could take it and set it up as a rock flower, maxi mini only tank.

Rock flowers and maxi miniscdefinitely look best in a top down view which the Fluval edge could provide all the time.

I have some extra equipment kicking around like a heater some live sand and rock from my tank and an AI Prime. What I am thinking is doing a very basic setup with the stock hang on back filter which I’ll run some chemi pure elite in. 

As far as inhabitants I was thinking sexy shrimp, anemone crab and some other cool inverts. Want to keep a super low bio load so that the rock and sand can keep the tank stable with minimal water changes and no dosing. 

I am thinking this could be a cool little tank setup let me know what you think and if you have any experience running an Edge as a reef 

MainelyReefer

I hated running SW in my edge 6g. So much salt creep and hard maintenance. Neat tanks just a pain to manage. If the cover still has a metal mesh on top I remember mine rusted too.  It was my first attempt at sw 8 years ago so maybe I was just learning and my opinion is skewed from being a newb

Try a rimless. I know people have done that- the top apparently comes off relatively easily with some fiddling, and the tank holds up well. It still has a nice look, without you having to try and fit your hand through such a tiny opening and mess with things. It also opens up your aquascape options, since you can add bigger rocks. You will need a different filter, though- the Edge filter only works if it's set up as normally. It's apparently a pretty crappy filter, though, so that's no loss. 

I would say rock flowers OR minimax. RFAs have very little sting, minimax have major sting. Bad combination in such a small space. Pick one species, put a few of that in, and make sure you leave them room to grow. If you pick minimax, only add inverts that are known to host anemones. Sexy shrimp may pick at anemones if not fed daily, but should otherwise work, and a porcelain anemone crab (make sure it's the pinkish-white anemone-hosting kind, not one of the others) would do well.