Innovative Marine Aquariums

PARASITES ON CORAL HELP!?!??

Aleric

Hi all I recently bought an multi color Monti pita on a rock base, and a blue and red Acan each probably 4 inches or so. On the Monti there are bristle starts, green sponges and starfish, on the Acan there is all that and sea spiders. Both are in Quarantine right now. Any tips to get ride of them.

2 hours ago, Aleric said:

Hi all I recently bought an multi color Monti pita on a rock base, and a blue and red Acan each probably 4 inches or so. On the Monti there are bristle starts, green sponges and starfish, on the Acan there is all that and sea spiders. Both are in Quarantine right now. Any tips to get ride of them.

Bristle stars, sponges, and "starfish" are almost always guaranteed to have no interest in your corals.

If you're positive there are sea spiders Bayer dipping the corals a few times should get rid of them, supposedly iodine will nock them off as well.

16 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Bristle stars, sponges, and "starfish" are almost always guaranteed to have no interest in your corals.

If you're positive there are sea spiders Bayer dipping the corals a few times should get rid of them, supposedly iodine will nock them off as well.

Ok I’ve hard about the stars and sponges bring ok, the hitchhikers looked to be living in it, my first thought was to manually remove them, I’ll try the dip to

18 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Pics?

I agree with the coral dip.  I believe all corals should be dipped before adding them to your QT.  Heck, I'd dip them again before adding them to your Display once they've been in QT for awhile.  Dipping not only removes many of the pests, but because of the 2nd dip (iodine-based) that I use, it's effective against bacteria, fungus, and protozoans.

I use Two Little Fishies Revive Coral Cleaner, then Seachem Reef Dip separately in a different container and only had great results so far, no deaths.

2 hours ago, Seadragon said:

I agree with the coral dip.  I believe all corals should be dipped before adding them to your QT.  Heck, I'd dip them again before adding them to your Display once they've been in QT for awhile.  Dipping not only removes many of the pests, but because of the 2nd dip (iodine-based) that I use, it's effective against bacteria, fungus, and protozoans.

I use Two Little Fishies Revive Coral Cleaner, then Seachem Reef Dip separately in a different container and only had great results so far, no deaths.

Wow how long do you dip them for and does the water have to be heater or have flow?

3 hours ago, Seadragon said:

If the real question was coral survival it would be awfully hard to recommend doing dips like this at all.

The question (to me at least) is how many pests you've actually found by doing these dips?

If it's a lot, then the worth would be almost unequivocal.  (Post pest pics promptly, please!!! 😁)   

But if it's none, then the need itself is pretty questionable.

36 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

If the real question was coral survival it would be awfully hard to recommend doing dips like this at all.

The question (to me at least) is how many pests you've actually found by doing these dips?

If it's a lot, then the worth would be almost unequivocal.  (Post pest pics promptly, please!!! 😁)   

Multiple flatworms.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the little brown spots on the corals or within the toilet as I flushed them out of existence. 😞  Next time, I will take any toilet shots for you as proof of the little brown spots. 🙂

The real question for you is, why wouldn't you dip your corals before adding them to your display tank?  Maybe the bacteria, fungus, protozoans, flatworms and other pests add to the biodiversity?  Is that your reasoning?

Wow how long do you dip them for and does the water have to be heater or have flow?

I use water from my tank and this is only for a short period of time so no heater or constant flow is needed.  I only dip for as long as the instructions say on the packaging.  Usually around 10 minutes or so.  After dipping, I rinse them off in a separate container with just tank water, then add them to my tank.  Of course, before any of this, I acclimate the corals via the drip method for at least an hour, sometimes multiple hours.

1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

My phone has a hard time attaching images but I know there are at least 3 spiders and two bristle stars. Will try again later to get Images loaded

Kill them nasty sea spiders.

zoapredator_spider.jpg&key=88db711120001

My phone has a hard time attaching images but I know there are at least 3 spiders and two bristle stars. Will try again later to get Images loaded

Use the "Click to choose files" option under the edit window.  (Hopefully that's not special for my phone.)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Aleric said:

Not sure if that uploaded, it lets me choose the  image and attach it then just doesn’t show up. Weird 

Try doing it through a different browser. I used to use Dolphin on my phone until it couldn't upload pics to the site one day.

Now I use Google Chrome directly and I upload pics that way.