Cultivated Reef

Green worm clam thing

cosmicbread

I have two of these that came in on some macro. Dime sized, vaguely clam shaped shells, green. One has pulled itself up the glass and hangs out by the water line. It looked like it was some sort of worm that had anchored itself in this shell? Or a long clam-like foot? Haven’t seen the “worm” come out of it since it moved. The other one buried itself.

9FCBC897-63B4-4FBB-93C8-9C3AFF7CC17E.jpeg

2134EC68-5879-430B-9381-62C39838441D.jpeg

• Like 1

Huh, weird. Can you see if it's a bivalve, with two shells attached by a hinge? I would be inclined to think it's something in the general vicinity of an unusually mobile clam. More than likely it's harmless, or macro-eating but harmless otherwise.

• Like 1

Well, that's a pretty bizarre little creature isn't it? 😂 Pretty weird to see a clam climb your glass, but I guess stranger things routinely happen in the ocean. 

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Well, that's a pretty bizarre little creature isn't it? 😂 Pretty weird to see a clam climb your glass, but I guess stranger things routinely happen in the ocean. 

And, searching google or the forums is turning up nothing. This is one of the reasons I am fascinated by reefing, of course. I’ve started small doses of phyto a few days ago, so if it filter feeds maybe that will help it. 

If it has a hinged shell, it's a bivalve, which means clams, mussels, and oysters. There are other animals with hinged shells, namely clam shrimp and ostracods, but both have legs and swim in the water column. You've got a funky little mobile clam there. Probably not new to science, but, hey, if you know a marine biologist's email address, someone might be interested in some photos.

8 hours ago, Tired said:

If it has a hinged shell, it's a bivalve, which means clams, mussels, and oysters. There are other animals with hinged shells, namely clam shrimp and ostracods, but both have legs and swim in the water column. You've got a funky little mobile clam there. Probably not new to science, but, hey, if you know a marine biologist's email address, someone might be interested in some photos.

Fascinating!! I run with a marine bio crowd, but they’re all mammal peeps. Maybe someone knows a guy.

if I ever find out more, I’ll be sure to update.