Cultivated Reef

Maxspect Gyre XF330 @ 9" depth?

JonasK

Hi,

I've got a shallow reef that's 39x16x9" and around 30 gallons. Right now I'm using a Jebao OW-10 for flow but is looking at the Maxspect Gyre XF330.

Would it be too much for my very shallow tank? I'm afraid it's too powerful but the flow pattern it produces is what I'm after. 

Beat regards /Jonas

IMG_20191025_165907-01.jpeg

1 hour ago, JonasK said:

I might do that.. but they're too expensive to just try and fail 😞

Icecap gyre 1K is much cheaper than maxspect. One can move water across my 36” IM30L with no problem at 30%. It’s getting harder to find tho, cuz they’re retiring it for the 2K model. 

On 1/16/2020 at 1:57 PM, mitten_reef said:

Icecap gyre 1K is much cheaper than maxspect. One can move water across my 36” IM30L with no problem at 30%. It’s getting harder to find tho, cuz they’re retiring it for the 2K model. 

I've been looking for IceCap but it doesn't exist here in Sweden. Only way to get it is from Amazon or eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not try one or more of the Tunze 6020 or 6040 (Turbelle pumps)? 

They are more or less designed to deliver the same kind of flow, though the means is more traditional. 

Seems like the 6020's are too cheap that I'd be forced to try at least a pair of them....perhaps two pair, depending on needs and expectations.   

The 6040 is much more powerful (and controllable)....probably worth a look too.

Could one or two of the rocks in your tank be a Tunze Rock? 

Nanostream® Rock

6025.250.jpg

That would give you the option of hiding the pump(s) altogether.....in that case, consider the Tunze Rock + a 6045...maybe a combo like that on each end of the tank!

nanostream 6045 alone is only EUR72, and generally perfect for a 90cm tank.

Nanostream® RockTurbelle® nanostream® = EUR120

or

(Nanostream® RockTurbelle® nanostream®) + (Nanostream® RockTurbelle® nanostream®) = EUR240