Jump to content
Nathans_Reef

What do you think about this Aquascape? (Advice Needed)

Recommended Posts

Nathans_Reef

Hello Everybody,

I am new to this forum and i just thought that i would take some pictures of my Aquascape and share it with you. 🐠

 

Tank Capacity: 90 litres/24 US Gallons

Materials: Caribsea life rock & Hugo Kamishi coral sand.

Lighting: Twinstar 600e (I know this is a planted tank light but i thought i would give it a try) 

Filtration: All pond solutions 1000EFDSC_0014.thumb.JPG.26e0f95574d3310a105f162634690f3a.JPG

 

 *Also if somebody could give me some tips about which macroalgae to add to my display tank, i am abit cautious because i know that some species like calurpa can destroy or ruin a tank quite quickly so some advice would be great.*

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
9 minutes ago, Nathans_Reef said:

Hello Everybody,

I am new to this forum and i just thought that i would take some pictures of my Aquascape and share it with you. 🐠

 

Tank Capacity: 90 litres/24 US Gallons

Materials: Caribsea life rock & Hugo Kamishi coral sand.

Lighting: Twinstar 600e (I know this is a planted tank light but i thought i would give it a try) 

Filtration: All pond solutions 1000EFDSC_0014.thumb.JPG.26e0f95574d3310a105f162634690f3a.JPG

 

 *Also if somebody could give me some tips about which macroalgae to add to my display tank, i am abit cautious because i know that some species like calurpa can destroy or ruin a tank quite quickly so some advice would be great.*

Welcome to Nano.

 

It looks good, just ensure you have room for corals and cleaning. Believe me, it's a pain when you don't🤣

 

I don't have much experience with macro because it's very limited here.

 

You can put chaeto in display but many keep it in a container  to prevent loose pieces or attaching onto rock.

 

A good one that's pretty is dragons breath.

 

Blue ochtodes is really pretty. It can grow fast, in my tank it died off but I've always had an issues with not having enough nutrients.

 

 

original.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Seadragon
16 minutes ago, Nathans_Reef said:

Hello Everybody,

I am new to this forum and i just thought that i would take some pictures of my Aquascape and share it with you. 🐠

 

Tank Capacity: 90 litres/24 US Gallons

Materials: Caribsea life rock & Hugo Kamishi coral sand.

Lighting: Twinstar 600e (I know this is a planted tank light but i thought i would give it a try) 

Filtration: All pond solutions 1000EFDSC_0014.thumb.JPG.26e0f95574d3310a105f162634690f3a.JPG

 

 *Also if somebody could give me some tips about which macroalgae to add to my display tank, i am abit cautious because i know that some species like calurpa can destroy or ruin a tank quite quickly so some advice would be great.*

 

Welcome to NR!  Regarding the aquascape, I would recommend keeping about a 1.5" gap between your rockwork and the glass.  This will allow you to easily clean the glass with a magnetic algae scrubber and other tools, allow for larger snails to freely move about, and will give better flow and current throughout the tank because you'll want to avoid dead spots in the tank which is a haven for things like cyanobacteria.

 

Personally, I'd recommend at least 1 well-defined arch which will really highlight any cleaner shrimp that you add to the tank since they love to hang upside-down from arches and it looks so beautiful.

 

As for the macroalgae, I currently use Chaeto, but also tried Red Dragon's Breath in the past.  Unfortunately, if you get something like Mexican Turbo Snails to eat nuisance algaes, they also target the Red Dragon's Breath in my case which is why I do not have that macroalgae anymore.  They leave the Chaeto alone it seems and it grows quite nicely in my tanks.  You can also place it within an in-tank refugium if you do not like the look.  Just based off experience, you will probably find that you'll need a light strong enough to support the macroalgae and any corals you may keep in the future.  I actually tried a freshwater LED light myself on my tanks at first, and found out they didn't do too well growing the Chaeto so I had to add a 2nd light made for growing macroalgae until I upgraded all of my lights to what I have now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Nathans_Reef
9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Welcome to Nano.

 

It looks good, just ensure you have room for corals and cleaning. Believe me, it's a pain when you don't🤣

 

I don't have much experience with macro because it's very limited here.

 

You can put chaeto in display but many keep it in a container  to prevent loose pieces or attaching onto rock.

 

A good one that's pretty is dragons breath.

 

Blue ochtodes is really pretty. It can grow fast, in my tank it died off but I've always had an issues with not having enough nutrients.

 

 

original.jpeg

Thanks for advice, good luck with your tank 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
23 minutes ago, Nathans_Reef said:

Hello Everybody,

I am new to this forum and i just thought that i would take some pictures of my Aquascape and share it with you. 🐠

 

Tank Capacity: 90 litres/24 US Gallons

Materials: Caribsea life rock & Hugo Kamishi coral sand.

Lighting: Twinstar 600e (I know this is a planted tank light but i thought i would give it a try) 

Filtration: All pond solutions 1000EFDSC_0014.thumb.JPG.26e0f95574d3310a105f162634690f3a.JPG

 

 *Also if somebody could give me some tips about which macroalgae to add to my display tank, i am abit cautious because i know that some species like calurpa can destroy or ruin a tank quite quickly so some advice would be great.*

Hello and welcome. 

 

Since you are in the UK (I'm guessing same as me) here is a great shop to get macros from. Got most of mine from them, really nice quality and they buy it back if you ever get too much! https://www.livealgae.co.uk/

 

The starter set (4 types) and nutrient packs are good starters

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Nathans_Reef
36 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Hello and welcome. 

 

Since you are in the UK (I'm guessing same as me) here is a great shop to get macros from. Got most of mine from them, really nice quality and they buy it back if you ever get too much! https://www.livealgae.co.uk/

 

The starter set (4 types) and nutrient packs are good starters

 

I actually looked at that website last night it looked very good, thats where i will probably get mine from. thanks for the help

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...