Coral Vue Hydros

What "fences in" cyphastrea?

Tired

What corals will cyphastreas not be able to grow across? Say, if I "fence off" a portion of a rock with a band of zoanthids around it. Will the cyphastrea try to grow across them, or sting them, or anything else? 

What about rock flower anemones, can those two come into contact with each other? 

How little light are cyphastreas able to grow in? Would they manage growing with a rock directly between them and the overhead light, in deep shadows? 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Tired said:

What corals will cyphastreas not be able to grow across? Say, if I "fence off" a portion of a rock with a band of zoanthids around it. Will the cyphastrea try to grow across them, or sting them, or anything else? 

What about rock flower anemones, can those two come into contact with each other? 

How little light are cyphastreas able to grow in? Would they manage growing with a rock directly between them and the overhead light, in deep shadows? 

Not sure on the coral fence ..... but it will for sure grow in shade and the underside of rockwork from my experience.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Tired said:

In my experience....... not much.  My Chalice fought a hard battle and only stopped the advance. Now I have some sponges trying to box it in and it seems to be working for now. 

Yeah, from what I'm reading, it'll grow over, around, and/or through anything you try to stop it with. There's some pics out there of zoas with cyphastreas growing up their stalks! 

Do the cyphastreas actually sting anything, though, or do they just grow over it? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tired said:

Yeah, from what I'm reading, it'll grow over, around, and/or through anything you try to stop it with. There's some pics out there of zoas with cyphastreas growing up their stalks! 

Do the cyphastreas actually sting anything, though, or do they just grow over it? 

They definitely sting. I have battle pics somewhere between it and the Chalice.