Coral Vue Hydros

Head loss

twenty12

I see all different things on this subject and trying to find out calculation. Installing a new chiller and need to get the right pump. 

If pump is in tank and will send water up 16inches then down to floor 4ft below to chiller and then back up to tank what is the  impact?

some seem to say 4ft up back to tank. I’m thinking 4ft plus 16inches. Others seem to say 16inches. And yet more it’s closed loop so no loss. 

Im looks for about 120gph for chiller. Anyone got information on how to figure this out?

esssentially biocube 29 looking to put pump in chamber 1 and put return in chamber 3 and the chiller Artica jbj 1/15 will be on the floor.  Will keep my tank circulation pump in chamber one. 

Many assisiance or input appreciated 

If it's a sealed route from the pump through to the return, then head loss will only be calculated based on friction losses....there will be no add-on from gravity since the downward and upward flows will be counteracting.

Calculate the total length and diameter of plumbing the pump will have to pump through and you should be able to calculate friction loses.

Post that info if you need help with the calculation!