Innovative Marine Aquariums

Weird algae growing HELP!!!!!

RoyalGramma001

1 hour ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

I used tap water and water conditioner, why are the diatoms there and how do I get rid of them?

You'd be better off not using tap-water unless it reads 0 total dissolved solids, instead a local store will likely sell RODI or pre-mixed saltwater, for mixing your own grocer-bought distilled works as well.

Diatoms get eaten by herbivores in your cleanup-crew, like astrea and trochus snails, and burn themselves out, they're a normal and comparatively-pleasant appearing part of a tank's ugly-phase when starting up and cycling the first 2-8 months.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

I used tap water and water conditioner, why are the diatoms there and how do I get rid of them?

Buy distilled water and mix your own salt. Tap tends to have silicates and feeds diatoms so it could turn into an endless battle.

If I used tap...I would only try it on a mature tank that can deal with such things since they tend to have sponges and all sorts of filter feeders.

• Like 1