Cultivated Reef

Zoa Disappear

simon2629

Hi, Guys

I've swap all my stock from my old 20gallon tank to a new Innovative Marine 20 galling AIO tank. New live sand, put 50% water from old thank and topped with new salt water.

Everything looked good, coral open, but second morning I found all my zoos on one rock are disappeared! about 15 heads of them all gone! like never exist! 

Help!  Anyone know why?

Did you check your parameters after the transfer to ensure everything matched?

Any chance the rock was placed wrong in the tank and they are on the other side?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

This really sounds like you have some type of pest. Zoas just don’t disappear, they are pretty hardy. Something ate them or attacked them. You need to check everything in the tank for pests. Wait and watch the tank while the lights are off, if it’s a nocturnal predator, you should see it then.

Where did you get your live rock?

3 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

This really sounds like you have some type of pest. Zoas just don’t disappear, they are pretty hardy. Something ate them or attacked them. You need to check everything in the tank for pests. Wait and watch the tank while the lights are off, if it’s a nocturnal predator, you should see it then.

Where did you get your live rock?

I got live rock from local reef shop, and been in my old tank for 6 month and never seen any problem, it just happen over night, kind scared me...

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, simon2629 said:

I got live rock from local reef shop, and been in my old tank for 6 month and never seen any problem, it just happen over night, kind scared me...

Well that’s weird. I would suspect a pest, but maybe not. If all other corals are ok and params are fine, I really don’t think that they can just disappear without some kinda pest

3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Well that’s weird. I would suspect a pest, but maybe not. If all other corals are ok and params are fine, I really don’t think that they can just disappear without some kinda pest

I thought about that too, but 15 heads gone over night is unreal. the only thing I hope now is maybe they are some how off the glue or detached to the rock but they were  on the rock (dead birdnest branch) for a little over two month already......

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, simon2629 said:

I thought about that too, but 15 heads gone over night is unreal. the only thing I hope now is maybe they are some how off the glue or detached to the rock but they were  on the rock (dead birdnest branch) for a little over two month already......

Hm, I really don’t know, what are your tank inhabitants? 

9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Were they growing on the rock or glued on?

I've had ones I glued on that got removed and found floating around the tank.

That's the only thing I can think of now, even they were on the rock (dead birdnest branch) for a little over two month already......

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Hm, I really don’t know, what are your tank inhabitants? 

just couple clown fish, 6 snails, 5 red leg hermit crab, 1 small emerald crab and a tuxedo urchin

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Did you check the tuxedo urchin? They sometimes pick stuff up that they aren’t supposed to?😂. The emerald could always be a possibility. Crabs sometimes get appetites for coral

9 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Did you check the tuxedo urchin? They sometimes pick stuff up that they aren’t supposed to?😂. The emerald could always be a possibility. Crabs sometimes get appetites for coral

ill check on them again

• Like 1