ReefCleaners.org

There seem like some good other options out there reading some of the threads. I'm within the return period on the Orbits so I might just take the opportunity to go with something else.

The Kessil in this tank seemed like a great option. The user also went through the hassle of testing the par to get a good reading so it would be plug and play at that point.

• Thanks 1

These two options seem harder to get to. Two different pucks make the light spread better, and in the second option with the AI primes have proven results, but there arent good mounting options for either. Both of the options require a little extra work versus the kessil option that is a lot more clean.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Theshivinator

Hey everyone !

Have put the lighting situation on hold as I try to figure out my water parameters .

The tank is still doing “okay” but I’ve been really trying to nail down my water parameters as I’ve noticed some of my coral ( Duncan , yellow colony polyps , and Goni) aren’t extending or looking as healthy . 

I noticed while testing I haven’t been able to get any nitrates in my tank . I stopped doing water changes almost 2 months ago and still have none / barely nitrate readings ( somewhere between 0-5.0ppm) .

Also while testing I see my pH seems low around 7.8. I’m curious if that has anything to do with corals looking unhappy .

My tank has been up for around 6 months and I’m still getting diatoms popping up on my sand a lot as well as a clear/white mucusy algae on the back wall of the tank . I scrap it off but it returns . 

Everything I research is about getting rid of nitrates. Any suggestions / tips or would be appreciated .  I feed fish daily , as well as feeding coral every 3 days .

• 2 weeks later...
Theshivinator

Clowns have been loving the toadstool lately 🙂

Is it normal for my toadstool to slump like this ? He looks really happy and fully extended but he’s funny in the sense one day he will slump over to this side and the next he changes to the other side . It’s almost as if the base can’t hold up the large top. 

70005EC6-59B1-45B7-8BC3-7707DF7BA86D.jpeg

C70F9E3D-0E4B-40AA-B4F2-36FFFCA13311.jpeg

• Haha 1
Theshivinator

Finally ! A lighting upgrade !! Also a new aquascape , got a few more pieces of live rock to add in. 

I decided to go with the AI prime and love it ! I can already tell it gives such better light spectrum than the current USA , this light gets bright !! 

This brings me to my next question , all the presets I’ve downloaded and tried from FB ai group seem very blue and bright . 
Is there any lighting presets or suggestions you’d give ? Current stock : GSP, goniopora , Duncan , anthelia , two toadstools , leather , yellow clove polyps , zoas. 

5185AABF-08B8-4F53-A902-34387EAF8837.jpeg

• Like 2

I started with the lower power david saxby preset but have tinkered with it here and there over time. It's worked pretty well for me and I don't feel like my tank has really high blues, but don't have much to compare it to in person.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Theshivinator

Does anyone know why the toadstool would be turning yellow like this at the base ? During the day he opens up beautiful with full polyp extension . But just noticed tonight as the lights went off how his base is turning yellow .

Any input would be great ! Thanks 

40B1C730-D987-4D96-96D6-61DC94CFBE84.jpeg

Theshivinator

Got the new Orphek lens kit for my cell phone to be able to take some better pictures of the tank!

Here’s a few pics from tonight as lights are ramping down , will take more soon. 

BE4E7A25-43A9-4544-B59B-F7B86BDC71FA.jpeg

B43457A0-9201-46F5-B314-8245C6FCBC19.jpeg

BC942FCE-B1DC-4692-A639-121D0DDBD129.jpeg

892A7615-3725-48B0-9C1D-9332802C91C4.jpeg

0B6937A6-F210-4046-AD1D-1EDD1DEA89D6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...
Theshivinator

Hey Everyone 🙂 

Been a while ! Everything is doing well in the tank. Have picked up a few new frags along the way as everything continues to grow .

happy to also see as well my GSP finally started growing on my back wall , excited to see that take over.

I see a lot of things on “weeping willow “ toadstools I notice mine has been extending pretty far but don’t know if you’d classify it as a weeping willow , if not does anyone know what kind of toadstool it could be ? 

My other toadstool loves being lazy everyday now and slumps over into the sand . 

* Sorry not the best photographer but improving *

A770D7C6-77AC-4AF0-B219-0B90815CAF73.jpeg

3784D6D1-7D33-40B8-8833-C4EDECE56DCD.jpeg

8B3BD2D6-3807-4062-8DB4-889D9B077784.jpeg

6CF7542D-7F8F-47ED-A75A-5F958A6AF1E1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Theshivinator
1 minute ago, I'm Batman said:

+1 on the Orphek phone filter. 

What did you end up doing to raise nitrates and did the diatoms clear up?

For the nitrates I slowed down/stopped on my water changes , and started feeding a little more and finally saw some arrive . Now I do about a 2.5 gallon water change every other week . 

Diatoms is still something I’m battling with , they’re not nearly as bad as they use to be. But still have to stir things up every few days to keep the ugliness away. 

• Like 1

You have a beautiful tank. I have a similar setup (19gl shallow reef). I wonder what is your plan for adding more livestock if any. I have two clowns at this time but I like to have more and completely unsure about how much bio load that is going to add and if that is ok to have 4-5 fish in 19gl tank. 😞 

• Thanks 1

Beautiful tank! Just scrolled through your build thread and saw you were wondering about the toadstool - get a little more flow on it and that should help, but sometimes they kind of 'slouch' at night. Also, for diatoms, conchs work wonders if you can get your hands on one or two, that'd be perfect! Love that long tentacle toadstool!!

• Thanks 1
Theshivinator
3 hours ago, Gore15 said:

You have a beautiful tank. I have a similar setup (19gl shallow reef). I wonder what is your plan for adding more livestock if any. I have two clowns at this time but I like to have more and completely unsure about how much bio load that is going to add and if that is ok to have 4-5 fish in 19gl tank. 😞 

Hello,

I have the two clowns I also have a 6 line wrasse as well in there . He always hides from pictures . I won’t add anymore as the 6 line is a little aggressive and don’t want to risk it since everyone is happy right now 🙂 

Theshivinator
2 hours ago, hinnenkm said:

Beautiful tank! Just scrolled through your build thread and saw you were wondering about the toadstool - get a little more flow on it and that should help, but sometimes they kind of 'slouch' at night. Also, for diatoms, conchs work wonders if you can get your hands on one or two, that'd be perfect! Love that long tentacle toadstool!!

Thanks so much ! 

the long tentacle toadstool is my favorite coral in the tank 🙂 toadstools have quickly become my favorite coral . I actually have a conch and sand sifting star in there , I think that’s the reason the diatoms have improved but still aren’t totally gone they’re helping out for sure. 

21 hours ago, Theshivinator said:

Thanks so much ! 

the long tentacle toadstool is my favorite coral in the tank 🙂 toadstools have quickly become my favorite coral . I actually have a conch and sand sifting star in there , I think that’s the reason the diatoms have improved but still aren’t totally gone they’re helping out for sure. 

Sounds great! Looking forward to watching how this tank progresses!

• Like 1

Looking good so far !!! Did you go to WWC for Black Friday ? I went to Living Reef Orlando's store Friday nd man it was amazing as always. Got some quality gems for cheap. 

• Like 1
Theshivinator
On 11/29/2020 at 12:38 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Looking good so far !!! Did you go to WWC for Black Friday ? I went to Living Reef Orlando's store Friday nd man it was amazing as always. Got some quality gems for cheap. 

No unfortunately I couldn’t make it , I only live 5 miles down the road , but I work in retail as well so that day was crazy for me. Lol

Ahhh okay,that makes sense. Have you been to Living Reef ? I feel like that is a store not everyone shops at but wow,the deals you find there is insane. 

• Theshivinator changed the title to Mark’s 25g lagoon