Pod Your Reef

Theshivinator
2 hours ago, Gakarl100 said:

Fantastic idea @KMitch, just installed a spin nozel the other day.  @Theshivinator how you like that Current USA 660 wave pump?

@Gakarl100 I really like it so far , I like the Bluetooth option for the lights and wave pump . It makes it a nice easy app on the phone to control everything. Seems to move things around pretty good . Still thinking about getting another one 

It’s a pretty affordable controllable pump I also like ability to put in 2. Was debating on a Nero 5 or MP 10 but feel these would be a better fit for 20 gallons or smaller with the ability to rotate between the two for flow patterns. The Nero and MP I was concerned would be to big min setting for a 20. 

• Like 1
Theshivinator

Hello everyone !

Hope all is well and everyone’s safe In quarantine!

Every day or every other day my hammer excretes a very long ( you can see it wrapped around ) reddish / brown waste . I’m not sure if this is the brown jelly disease or it’s just excreting waste . Anyone can weigh in and help out ? Thanks !! Other than excreting the waste it seems to be puffy and healthy .

2E6F9083-7A6C-4A6C-8DF3-284D4987860D.png

Theshivinator

I’ve waited a couple weeks to post about this as I know toadstool’s can be funny characters . 

But my toadstool now is usually “laid out “ or open , recently however it’s been forming into a cone shape and leaning? Is this normal ? Is it getting enough light , flow ?

any help or recommendations are welcome 👍🏼

0A6BD90E-DD31-4EEE-B813-4B571BD57890.jpeg

Theshivinator

When you’re bored during quarantine you rework your aquascape 🙃. I was never 100% truly in love with the old aquascape and through getting a lot of new inspiration from here I decided to rework things a bit . 

I have to say I love how it turned out !

I’m thinking about in the middle now to create a small euphyllia garden.

any thoughts ? 

8914A3B2-9374-41EC-BC74-87198DB77E00.jpeg

• Like 3
mitten_reef
On 4/3/2020 at 5:15 PM, Theshivinator said:

Hello everyone !

Hope all is well and everyone’s safe In quarantine!

Every day or every other day my hammer excretes a very long ( you can see it wrapped around ) reddish / brown waste . I’m not sure if this is the brown jelly disease or it’s just excreting waste . Anyone can weigh in and help out ? Thanks !! Other than excreting the waste it seems to be puffy and healthy .

2E6F9083-7A6C-4A6C-8DF3-284D4987860D.png

poop, nothing to worry

On 4/6/2020 at 3:19 PM, Theshivinator said:

I’ve waited a couple weeks to post about this as I know toadstool’s can be funny characters . 

But my toadstool now is usually “laid out “ or open , recently however it’s been forming into a cone shape and leaning? Is this normal ? Is it getting enough light , flow ?

any help or recommendations are welcome 👍🏼

0A6BD90E-DD31-4EEE-B813-4B571BD57890.jpeg

they do weird things, often unrelated to what you do.  increase lighting may help, but it looks less stretched out in the new scape pic

8 minutes ago, Theshivinator said:

When you’re bored during quarantine you rework your aquascape 🙃. I was never 100% truly in love with the old aquascape and through getting a lot of new inspiration from here I decided to rework things a bit . 

I have to say I love how it turned out !

I’m thinking about in the middle now to create a small euphyllia garden.

any thoughts ? 

8914A3B2-9374-41EC-BC74-87198DB77E00.jpeg

Love how this turned out.

What a great little tank!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Theshivinator
14 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

poop, nothing to worry

they do weird things, often unrelated to what you do.  increase lighting may help, but it looks less stretched out in the new scape pic

Love how this turned out.

What a great little tank!

Thanks so much for all the responses 👍🏼 
Can’t wait to start filling it up with more !

• Like 1

One of my favorite tanks!  You started this in January, did you go through any ugly stage?  This thing is perfect.  I want your sand bed.

• Thanks 1
Theshivinator
45 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

One of my favorite tanks!  You started this in January, did you go through any ugly stage?  This thing is perfect.  I want your sand bed.

Thanks so much !! I’ve been through some ugly stuff in my sand and on the rocks . I have one turbo snail in there doing a good job. I do about 10-20% water changes weekly . I also sometimes will gently stir my sand bed around to get some of the nasty stuff out of it . After things settle back down I normally will change out my filter floss. 

• Like 1
On 3/29/2020 at 3:26 PM, Theshivinator said:

My goniopora is seeing some awesome growth ... but it seemed to almost lose its color . It is like a light pink now . Has anyone ever seen this ? Is it normal ?

6A1F9176-06BB-463F-9CFD-E304569519C3.jpeg

love the tank! when my red Goni became paler I think it was because of too much (in my case natural) light although it could also have been from decreasing alk/cal when I was away in vacation for 3 weeks in the summer and had my friend do only 1 water change during that time. If your water change schedule is up, then maybe consider moving the Goni to a shadier spot

• Thanks 1
Theshivinator

My Hammer looks like some of its tissue is receding only in this one spot . This is a picture of it closed up at night , during the day it seems to open up fine . Is this something I should worry about ?

9FA2ED31-DCE3-4F77-AF6E-F16EA202FB6B.jpeg

Theshivinator
On 4/17/2020 at 10:08 PM, DesertReefOasis said:

Love your tank - Especially your yellow finger gorgonia! How is it keeping up on feeding it?

Thanks so much ! The yellow gorgonia is doing well. I’ve been trying to feed it small amounts daily it seems to be holding up well so far . Hasn’t dirtied my tank too much I do 10% water changes weekly . 

• Like 1
Theshivinator

This Portion of the tank is coming together ! Picked up a beautiful piece of Pink Waving Hand Anthelia from WWC. Rearranged things a bit goniopora isn’t too happy today . My Bob Marley Zoas are spreading pretty quickly too!  

89228A88-3CFB-42AE-BE21-29D38E2F8D26.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Theshivinator

Hope everyone has been staying healthy & safe.

Tank is still doing well have added in a feather duster . And once again changed the rock work . Haha hopefully this time it’ll stay I really like the look . 

14E3AFB7-DDC6-4C28-A68C-B5798039E6B9.jpeg

• Like 3
Theshivinator

Hoping to get some advice : NEW LIGHTING 

I’ve researched thoroughly on the topic but find it hard to find a light that would be aesthetically pleasing on the IM peninsula 20g and both powerful enough as well.

I feel the Current USA light has done an okay job but is no longer giving me the options or the light spectrum I’d like .

Any advice on what light would be best for the long narrow tank , without having too much over spill and also would cover the length of the tank from hopefully like a gooseneck? ( I cant hang anything over the tank ) 

mitten_reef
8 minutes ago, Theshivinator said:

Hoping to get some advice : NEW LIGHTING 

I’ve researched thoroughly on the topic but find it hard to find a light that would be aesthetically pleasing on the IM peninsula 20g and both powerful enough as well.

I feel the Current USA light has done an okay job but is no longer giving me the options or the light spectrum I’d like .

Any advice on what light would be best for the long narrow tank , without having too much over spill and also would cover the length of the tank from hopefully like a gooseneck? ( I cant hang anything over the tank ) 

really like how this one works out.  

or maybe a hydra32 or hydra 64 on a tank mount arm?

if you can fashion your own bracket for a led bar to rest on, you could look into reefbrite bar, orphek bar and the likes.  they have higher-power chips.

• Thanks 1
Theshivinator
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

really like how this one works out.  

or maybe a hydra32 or hydra 64 on a tank mount arm?

if you can fashion your own bracket for a led bar to rest on, you could look into reefbrite bar, orphek bar and the likes.  they have higher-power chips.

Thanks for all the advice . I’ll look into them !

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 4:51 PM, Theshivinator said:

Thanks for all the advice . I’ll look into them !

Wondering what you ended up doing with the light. I've got a 20 peninsula cycling right now with the dual Orbit Pros waiting to go on but the more I've read about the Orbits the more I hear that people want more power - wondering if that's just the gear head in people online wanting the best option. I'm really only looking to get into zoas and the easier, less light demanding LPS. The PAR measurements by Orbit,https://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Orbit-PAR-Measurements-1.pdf,  suggest that the lowest PAR your getting, even if mounted on an arm, is going to be around 115 which should be enough for what I'm looking into.

Theshivinator
On 6/17/2020 at 9:38 AM, rfried said:

Wondering what you ended up doing with the light. I've got a 20 peninsula cycling right now with the dual Orbit Pros waiting to go on but the more I've read about the Orbits the more I hear that people want more power - wondering if that's just the gear head in people online wanting the best option. I'm really only looking to get into zoas and the easier, less light demanding LPS. The PAR measurements by Orbit,https://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Orbit-PAR-Measurements-1.pdf,  suggest that the lowest PAR your getting, even if mounted on an arm, is going to be around 115 which should be enough for what I'm looking into.

I’m still currently looking into an upgrade . Unfortunately with current events I haven’t been able to upgrade my light yet. Still looking into different options .

My current USA dual pro’s seem to keep my softies alive , but really don’t see any real growth from my Duncan , zoas, gsp. Everything seems to have just stalled. I tried to keep a SPS and it didn’t make it.

Interested in following along I was thinking about the exact same tank and lighting but was most likely going to keep if fish only or maybe a clown pair with a nem. Bummer to hear you aren’t having luck with the lights since I like the low profile look and don’t really want pendant lights. what were your settings?

Tank looks great though, love the aquascape. 

• Theshivinator changed the title to Mark’s 25g lagoon