Innovative Marine Aquariums

Affordable Coral Light under $30

RoyalGramma001

RoyalGramma001

Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out if there are any suitable coral lights for sale that would be under $30, that will grow most coral species.

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

NoOneLikesADryTang

Probably not - you're best bet would be looking for a good used black box (Mars Aqua, Viparspectra, etc.) for sale. You can usually pick those up used for $60-80, and they'll grow just about any coral you'd want. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out if there are any suitable coral lights for sale that would be under $30, that will grow most coral species.

I was looking through my Office NR journal thread and I came across a light that @Clown79 recommended:

On 10/11/2019 at 4:02 PM, Clown79 said:

If money is extremely tight, I'd probably check out that recommendation or just hold off on buying corals until you got more money saved up for the light you want.

The size of tank will really determine what you can get on a tight budget.

The Abi's are great lights. Depending on the size of tank will depend on if you need 1, 2, or more.

I also think the option @NoOneLikesADryTang mentioned is a good one.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

I’ll probably hold off until I get a better light or I may try some NPS corals like gorgonians, sun corals, and sea whips.

Just a heads up, Nps aren't easy and need frequent feedings which often leads to the need to set up other methods for waste export like refugiums, skimmers, more waterchanges.

Do a search on NPS corals, there are a few members with a lot of experience with them, this can really help out with these corals needs, care, and having a nano with nps.

I believe @banasophia has some nps.

• Like 3
RoyalGramma001

Ok thank you I will be sure to research any NPS that I would get and I am probably going to add another filter. I will also probably do 2 water changes a week to keep the tank clean. I also did add a skimmer to my tank to keep the protein film from building. Do you recommend any good foods for NPS corals?

Frag Factory

PAR38 maybe?

What size tank are you trying to light? Might be worth looking at a DIY T5 set up, those can be fairly cheap (probably not $30 cheap)...

• Like 1

2 abi 23w par 38's would work on a 20h. 

6 hours ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Ok thank you I will be sure to research any NPS that I would get and I am probably going to add another filter. I will also probably do 2 water changes a week to keep the tank clean. I also did add a skimmer to my tank to keep the protein film from building. Do you recommend any good foods for NPS corals?

You don't want the water too clean, that leads to different problems. You need a balance of nutrients.

Each NPS coral requires different foods and how often they are fed. Some need multiple daily feedings while others 2-3 times a week works.

This article may help you out a bit.

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/12/19/care-requirements-for-nps-corals/

Hopefully others who have kept nps long term chime in.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:03 PM, RoyalGramma001 said:

Curious what's the application?   Depth and surface area of the tank you're lighting dictate the kind ans size of light you need.

There are DIY options that will come in under $30, but can't make a specific recommendation without knowing dimensions.