Innovative Marine Aquariums

Yellow Tang Eating Seagrass

Mr. Awesome

Hi. I put some shoal grass in my 125g tank and the yellow tang devoured them. Has this happened to anyone else? I want to know if I just have a "defective" tang and I can swap it out for a different one or if all yellows eat seagrass.

Mine doesn’t touch the Seagrass, the Blades are about 1/4” to 3/8” wide. Also Doesn’t touch Mermaids Fan. Red Grape that was beat up in shipping, he ate all the Grapes. Try Julian Sprungs Sea Veggies and a Clip, to keep him full. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, DSA65PRO said:

Mine doesn’t touch the Seagrass, the Blades are about 1/4” to 3/8” wide. Also Doesn’t touch Mermaids Fan. Red Grape that was beat up in shipping, he ate all the Grapes. Try Julian Sprungs Sea Veggies and a Clip, to keep him full. 

Do you have shoal grass? 

• 2 weeks later...

The Macro in the middle picture is Mermaids fan, it’s is the third shoot since October. Mermaid Fan looks like that when there is no wave surge, from a Dump Box. With a Dump Box, you get the more rounded Fan shape. I have very high calcium levels. 

• Like 1