Top Shelf Aquatics

Hermit ID

CD_Scapes

I think they are called Bandeye Hermits in the hobby. There a few species that look similar that you can distinguish by the mark on their leg. Red/orange is a Caribbean species and green/purple is a pacific species. 

Edit - Paguirstes totugae, or close relative

1 minute ago, johnmaloney said:

I think they are called Hidden Hermits in the hobby. There a few species that look similar that you can distinguish by the mark on their leg. Red/orange is a Caribbean species and green/purple is a pacific species. 

I was thinking that but the green hermit (calcinus latens) has yellow antenna and mine has zebra like antenna

2 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

I updated my post right before you sent this. It was on the tip of my tongue..lol...

Know much about them? Do they stay smaller? 

About Scarlet Hermit size, good cleaner. I had one I had a hard time identifying in a post and kept it in a 3 gallon for a very long time, it was well behaved. Still a hermit, may steal shells.

2 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

About Scarlet Hermit size, good cleaner. I had one I had a hard time identifying in a post and kept it in a 3 gallon for a very long time, it was well behaved. Still a hermit, may steal shells.

Alright, he's in my 5 gallon tank with 8-9 empty cerith shells and my talbot damsel...I hope he likes it 

3 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

Are they common in commercial sales? IF I wanted some could I buy them on reef cleaners?

7 hours ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

Alright, he's in my 5 gallon tank with 8-9 empty cerith shells and my talbot damsel...I hope he likes it 

Are they common in commercial sales? IF I wanted some could I buy them on reef cleaners?

They are not a colonial species, so they are uncommon in the trade but not rare in the ocean, just far between specimens.  I probably have a few here but they would take time to track down.  I had a very nice looking color variation once,  I had trouble IDing him that is why I remembered him (eventually) today:

&title=New%20Hermit%20Crab%20Species%20-

• Like 1