Innovative Marine Aquariums

Flow Increase Question

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Hey everyone!

I have a question about adding more flow. Right now, I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXDOQWA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on my 10 gallon. The suction mechanism broke-ish, so I ordered another one. The broken one has been sitting on a rock for a couple of weeks and it blows the back of the tank. But, I would like to add the new one too because I don't think there's tooooo much movement right now. The only thing is that it would be blowing almost directly on my xenia, and my mushroom definitely gets increased flow (when placed on the right panel).

Is it worth it to upset everything or should I just replace the broken one?

Thank you!

IMG_4735.thumb.JPG.76382eba85a008921de827711932053a.JPG

6 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Replace it with one or two Tunze 6020's......around $40 each, German made, 2 year warranty, EXCELLENT customer support.

Sorry.. $18>$80

I totally understand about that.  My whole system was used or clearance rack gear when I started - even the tanks themselves.  Highly recommended way to save money.

It's usually better to save up and/or buy used rather than buying junky gear.  (I've gotten the shaft trying to be cheap just like most people.....same junky brand you got, different issue.) 

You've already basically got $9 down the toilet on the pump you have.  That's not a good way to maximize your scant dollars.

Try this search for Nano-Reef's marketplace....also watch any other classified such as craigslist, apps, faceboot, etc:

https://www.nano-reef.com/search/?q=tunze&type=forums_topic&nodes=11

Folks upgrade and sell their old gear all the time.  If you don't find anything right away just try to be patient.....something always comes up.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

I totally understand about that.  My whole system was used or clearance rack gear when I started - even the tanks themselves.  Highly recommended way to save money.

It's usually better to save up and/or buy used rather than buying junky gear.  (I've gotten the shaft trying to be cheap just like most people.....same junky brand you got, different issue.) 

You've already basically got $9 down the toilet on the pump you have.  That's not a good way to maximize your scant dollars.

Try this search for Nano-Reef's marketplace....also watch any other classified such as craigslist, apps, faceboot, etc:

https://www.nano-reef.com/search/?q=tunze&type=forums_topic&nodes=11

Folks upgrade and sell their old gear all the time.  If you don't find anything right away just try to be patient.....something always comes up.

Honestly, I had that pump for a year and it still works, the suction mechanism just doesn't work anymore. And I think it may be my fault by hitting it.

I had a proper Koralia a few times and it completely broke after a year so. So I don't know! It's all luck sometimes. 

27 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

And I think it may be my fault by hitting it.

Not your fault!  😄

The saltwater hobby left suction cups behind in the early 2000's when magnet holders became available.  Suction cups just don't last in saltwater.  Heaters and $1 veggie clips are the only thing you'll generally find suction cups on anymore....and that's only because heaters aren't targeted at saltwater and $1 veggie clips are disposable.

These pumps (with suction cup type of mount) are best for freshwater tanks where the suction cup will at least last a little while.

FYI, I have Tunze pumps that are as old as my system and still running.....that's 11 years so far.  Just this year one of my original 11 year old magnets started to corrode just a little where I knicked the protective covering, so I'll swap the inner and outer magnets to keep the corrosion out of the tank.  No cost to me!  Yay!  LOL

32 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

I had a proper Koralia a few times and it completely broke after a year so. So I don't know! It's all luck sometimes.

I'm sure there's some luck involved....anyone can have a bad product here or there.

But I'm not sure that's what happened to Hydo's pump line.   I think again: "Not your fault!"  😎

Hydor's Gen 1 pumps pretty much ran forever, and for what they were, were GREAT pumps.   I still have a 3 and a 4 that work well and that I have used for years, but don't see regular duty anymore.

For whatever reason, they discontinued that whole line and came out with Gen 2 replacements that all were junk...impelllers would last weeks or months, pumps would just cut out.  The company was great about trying to keep the pumps in the field running by supplying replacement parts, so I still give them kudos for that....but something wasn't right with the pumps.  

So then they discontinued the Gen 2 line and came out with their Gen 3....which I think is still what's on the market.   

Gen 3 is the only one I haven't tried, but I've heard they are MUCH better.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Not your fault!  😄

The saltwater hobby left suction cups behind in the early 2000's when magnet holders became available.  Suction cups just don't last in saltwater.  Heaters and $1 veggie clips are the only thing you'll generally find suction cups on anymore....and that's only because heaters aren't targeted at saltwater and $1 veggie clips are disposable.

These pumps (with suction cup type of mount) are best for freshwater tanks where the suction cup will at least last a little while.

FYI, I have Tunze pumps that are as old as my system and still running.....that's 11 years so far.  Just this year one of my original 11 year old magnets started to corrode just a little where I knicked the protective covering, so I'll swap the inner and outer magnets to keep the corrosion out of the tank.  No cost to me!  Yay!  LOL

I'm sure there's some luck involved....anyone can have a bad product here or there.

But I'm not sure that's what happened to Hydo's pump line.   I think again: "Not your fault!"  😎

Hydor's Gen 1 pumps pretty much ran forever, and for what they were, were GREAT pumps.   I still have a 3 and a 4 that work well and that I have used for years, but don't see regular duty anymore.

For whatever reason, they discontinued that whole line and came out with Gen 2 replacements that all were junk...impelllers would last weeks or months, pumps would just cut out.  The company was great about trying to keep the pumps in the field running by supplying replacement parts, so I still give them kudos for that....but something wasn't right with the pumps.  

So then they discontinued the Gen 2 line and came out with their Gen 3....which I think is still what's on the market.   

Gen 3 is the only one I haven't tried, but I've heard they are MUCH better.

well DAMN. this makes me feel better haha! I am thinking to experiment a bit on the broken pump I had, as I liked that the Koralia had that magnet. That can't be too hard to replicate.....

56 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Honestly, I had that pump for a year and it still works, the suction mechanism just doesn't work anymore. And I think it may be my fault by hitting it.

I use two Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pumps (240 GPH) on each of my 10 gallon tanks and I haven't had any issues.  If you just purchased it recently, why not call them up since it may still be under warranty.  Maybe you got a defective one or a bad batch.

Per Hydor USA on Amazon: "Hydor USA has a 2 year from date of purchase warranty on all our parts/products. If you have questions or concerns, please email us at hydorusa.office@hydor.com or call 1-866-493-6787."

• Like 1
Just now, Seadragon said:

I use two Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pump (240 GPH) on each of my 10 gallon tanks and I haven't had any issues.  If you just purchased it recently, why not call them up since it may be still under warranty.  Maybe you got a defective one or a bad batch.

Per Hydor USA on Amazon: "Hydor USA has a 2 year from date of purchase warranty on all our parts/products. If you have questions or concerns, please email us at hydorusa.office@hydor.com or call 1-866-493-6787."

oh noooo this was yeeeeeaaars ago. i've since sold it 😉 

Ah...I was gonna suggest repurposing the magnets from the old pump.

The trick with magents is multipart.  At the very least, they have to be strong enough and they have to be able to mount a pump somehow.  (If they're neodymium magents they also have to be waterproofed.)

You can get a set of magnet holders from Tunze:

Magnet Holder

"Magnet Holder for an attachment of the Osmolator® up to a glass thickness of 12 mm (1/2 in.), Dimen... mehr"

part # 3152.512

$20.29 USD

These are heavy duty and can be used for about anything.

• Like 1