inTank Media Baskets

Tiny worms on tank glass?

Hazy

I can’t ID these microscopic worms that I just discovered on my tank glass.... I’m wondering if anyone can give a shot at what they are... they are covering my substrate and my tank glass window.. I first noticed them after a water change and I’m wondering if they are beneficial!? Harmful?! Please help!  (Yes those dirt like things on the thermometer are what I’m talking about l... you have to zoom way in..) 

B034697A-60B1-42D2-8249-A62D9D96AD05.jpeg

RoyalGramma001

Look like planaria but I could be wrong never had them but look similar to a worm I saw in a picture. Actually i am wrong had to edit this later the ones on your glass are too small sorry.

As long as they are just cleaning my sand, witch is what it looks like they are doing I’m assuming it will be fine, but I just want to make sure they aren’t parasites 

Christopher Marks
15 hours ago, Hazy said:

I can’t ID these microscopic worms that I just discovered on my tank glass.... I’m wondering if anyone can give a shot at what they are... they are covering my substrate and my tank glass window.. I first noticed them after a water change and I’m wondering if they are beneficial!? Harmful?! Please help!  (Yes those dirt like things on the thermometer are what I’m talking about l... you have to zoom way in..) 

B034697A-60B1-42D2-8249-A62D9D96AD05.jpeg

Is your tank pretty new? These are likely amphipods, small beneficial crustaceans that reproduce readily in reef aquariums. They're part of the food chain and quite beneficial.

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Tiny worms on tank glass?

I recently took down my 215G tank and moved a few of the things I wanted to keep into a 40 breeder. I experience the same worm "bloom" on the glass. Since I haven't added anything new I wasn't too worried about them. I just blew them off the glass and haven't seen them since. I'm assuming that the move triggered a spawning event.

Yes my tank is fairly new... it cycled for about a month before I added my clown fish and pep shrimp... it’s about 2 months  old now (everything’s doing great) I hadn’t considered that they would be amphipods  because I thought they were more round in shape, but if that’s all it is than I’ll just let the lil buggers do whatever they please 

Idk where your ‘worms’ would have gone, but just out of curiosity on my part you should check your gravel and see if you can spot them. I thought at first they were just on the glass but when I looked closer they where all over the sand grains

They look like the amphipods larva I got near the beginning of he set up.  One I got some fish they disappeared pretty fast.  There are still some but not in mass like that.  They are good, lots of things eat them.  If you look in your sump or filter sponge you will probably find the adults.

image.jpeg