Top Shelf Aquatics

Nero 5 or MP40

William

So the MP10 I have on the back right side of my Waterbox 70:2 keeps falling off (the glass is technically too thick). The one on the left stays on for some reason. 

should I replace the one that keeps falling off with a Nero 5 or an MP40. 

I currently use a WPS attachment to my apex and enjoy apex control of my pumps. 

You can control a number of brands right?   Replace with Tunze.  There are at least a few that would be good options.   

6040 might be the most suited to the tank shape, as well as the cheapest and easiest to hide.

Any of the ball-shaped nanoStreams from the smallest ($40) on up could be excellent options as well since the tank is only 24" wide on both dimensions, plus they offer the option of using a Tunze Rock to mount the pump on/in your reef if you wanted.

A Stream 3 wouldn't really be any more extreme than an MP40 and could probably replace all the pumps but is larger.  As long as you have room behind your rocks to hide it, it's almost position-independent in terms of performance.  (And then all your walls would be visually empty.)

They have other options that could work too, but those are my favorites.

All of them are very economical by comparison, have excellent warranties, and come with excellent customer support.

3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

You can control a number of brands right?   Replace with Tunze.  There are at least a few that would be good options.   

6040 might be the most suited to the tank shape, as well as the cheapest and easiest to hide.

Any of the ball-shaped nanoStreams from the smallest ($40) on up could be excellent options as well since the tank is only 24" wide on both dimensions, plus they offer the option of using a Tunze Rock to mount the pump on/in your reef if you wanted.

A Stream 3 wouldn't really be any more extreme than an MP40 and could probably replace all the pumps but is larger.  As long as you have room behind your rocks to hide it, it's almost position-independent in terms of performance.  (And then all your walls would be visually empty.)

They have other options that could work too, but those are my favorites.

All of them are very economical by comparison, have excellent warranties, and come with excellent customer support.

Thanks for the advice, I like tunze product, but feel that their migration to the “digital age” has been a bit lacking. I ended  up going with an MP40 so that I could easily control it with my Apex Lite. 

2 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

The nero has been known to suck up small fish the protective grate is not that well designed. I would stay away from it.

Good to know 😱

the pump will be run on a low speed and will be in the bottom right . I will mainly use it to blow detritus along the bottom 

It's in an ideal setting in such a small tank, that's why.  Practically a perfect fit, in fact.  👍

(You can't ask a lot more from it though...and other pumps in the same price category deliver a lot more bang for the buck.)

• 1 year later...
slc_corals
On 1/8/2020 at 1:48 PM, LazyFish said:

The nero has been known to suck up small fish the protective grate is not that well designed. I would stay away from it.

They must have heard you! As of June 2020, they now include a fish guard with all of their pumps.